Solo diving on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like Cayman Islands law that limits wrongful death recovery to $5,000, and lots of countries in the so called Third World have similar limits (Costa Rica's $25,000?).

Some countries may have liability limits but as you may know, we are talking about Bonaire on this particular thread. Besides, it's not all about liability. It can also be about the bad press that goes with dive accidents, and perhaps the Dive Ops that discourage or prohibit solo diving without a Solo certification are really concerned with diver safety and the reputation of the sport as a whole and are doing what they can to avoid accidents by ensuring that divers are properly trained and equipped for their intended dives.

I mean, if it's naturally assumed that divers can dive solo simply because they want to, then why not hand out Nitrox tanks to any diver who asks for them even if they never analyzed a tank during a course under the supervision of an instructor? Why not allow divers who never took a tech diving course do decompression divers, or nontrained and certified wreck divers penetrate deep into the holds of a shipwreck? To take it to the fullest extend of foolishness, why bother with open water certifications at all? Just go dive if you want to just remember to keep on breathing. We certainly don't want any "disheartened" vacationers, now do we?

Dive safe always whether solo or with buddies.
The truth of the matter is that there is a more likelihood of being in a car accident in Bonaire (or anywhere for that matter) then diving.

Some countries may have liability limits but as you may know, we are talking about Bonaire on this particular thread. Besides, it's not all about liability. It can also be about the bad press that goes with dive accidents, and perhaps the Dive Ops that discourage or prohibit solo diving without a Solo certification are really concerned with diver safety and the reputation of the sport as a whole and are doing what they can to avoid accidents by ensuring that divers are properly trained and equipped for their intended dives.

I mean, if it's naturally assumed that divers can dive solo simply because they want to, then why not hand out Nitrox tanks to any diver who asks for them even if they never analyzed a tank during a course under the supervision of an instructor? Why not allow divers who never took a tech diving course do decompression divers, or nontrained and certified wreck divers penetrate deep into the holds of a shipwreck? To take it to the fullest extend of foolishness, why bother with open water certifications at all? Just go dive if you want to just remember to keep on breathing. We certainly don't want any "disheartened" vacationers, now do we?

You raise a lot of good points. But I would argue that over-reliance on the buddy system is a safety problem in itself, and that two inexperienced divers going out on a Bonaire shore dive might well be in greater danger than an inexperienced diver going alone, as the solo diver should have a heightened sense of awareness and be naturally more conservative. I’ve seen buddy pairs in Bonaire make serious mistakes, for instance with each diver in the pair assuming that the other was the navigator, and blowing right past an exit point. Being alone focuses the mind wonderfully. So if Bonaire is going to keep promoting shore diving, they should realize that buddy pairings are no guarantee of safety and ultimately not even a liability shield.

Some countries may have liability limits but as you may know, we are talking about Bonaire on this particular thread.
The key words in my comment were "I like", not "Bonaire".

A lot of good information here. I am a solo diver and also am concerned about not being allow to shore dive solo in Bonaire when I go next year. I have been told by dive buddies that there is a list for solo divers to "buddy up" but then again I would rather dive solo then dive with an inexperienced diver. I guess I will have to play it by ear and schedule some boat dives if unable to shore dive. Again, I am new to this board and hope I may find someone here to buddy up with. I plan to go to Bonaire next year May 22 to June 1. Any takers? Also, I will be going to Playa del Carmen Christmas week this year to do some cenote and Cozumel dives. I am interested in meeting fellow divers. Let me know.

I’m not exactly sure if/how anyone is policing solo shore diving on Bonaire...and divefriends actually offer the PADI solodiver course....so....

I’m not exactly sure if/how anyone is policing solo shore diving on Bonaire...and divefriends actually offer the PADI solodiver course....so....
The problem with the solo diver or self reliant course is the requirement for 100 dives. I got my basic dive cert in 1975 but only have 32 recent dives under my belt so that is not an option for me now. Thanks for the thought, though.

I have solo dived Bonaire quite a few times, as have friends of mine. There are very few Scuba Police watching over you, unless you are doing boat dives.

Seriously, if you want to do a solo certification while you are on Bonaire, I'd be willing to bet it is an option, even with fewer than 100 recent dives, although I have done no research on this.
I will continue to do solos on Bonaire on our upcoming trip, but I certainly have no intention of ever showing my "Solo" card, unless forced to. I prefer the, if I do not ask, no one can say No approach to our sport, and especially on Bonaire.

Seriously, if you want to do a solo certification while you are on Bonaire, I'd be willing to bet it is an option, even with fewer than 100 recent dives, although I have done no research on this.
Not gonna happen with any reputable instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom