Day trip to Tulamben - worth it for USS Liberty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I truly need other Liberty lovers to explain the allure to me.

Like this? (Sample of photos taken on the Liberty wreck dive)

15237428581_63e8662b41_z.jpg

6493961545_9133f30882_z.jpg

8010377391_4461921556_z.jpg

21468258863_743155fc31_z.jpg

24706251396_2f06cb9e82_z.jpg

22799132014_16625568a0_z.jpg

Not a fan. I've given it 6 chances to impress me, even camped in a tent without coffee to dive it first and done it at midnight, high season, low season ... Not my sort of wreck. And walking on those ridiculous pebbles and getting smacked by a wave on a shore exit and flapping around like a turtle trying to leave it? Not for me. Too crowded even with just me and a guide at midnight. Go drift dive SD or do Manta Point/Crystal bay but after a LOB I agree with everyone else - relax, explore topside. Don't end your trip on a sub par dive.

We went first thing in the morning to see the bumpheads. It's an OK wreck. I saw a neat electric razor clam and liked the bumpheads but other than that, it wasn't much. Even on the very early morning dive it was quite crowded and on the way out we were dodging dozens of divers to get back to the shore exit. When we eventually go back, I don't know if we'll dive it again except for the fact that my husband likes wrecks in general far more than reef.

My regular dive buddy was there 2 days ago and I asked him his thoughts on the dive. His response was....

"The wreck was awesome.
no current, great vis, practically bursting with sea life, lots of structure to swim inside, only cons were the crowd of divers on the site and a difficult shore entry"

Love diving the Liberty. Yes, I would do the trip. Better would be to go the night before so you can start at 5am or whatever. Yes there will be many divers, so if you HATE that, don't go, but it's a large dive site.

- Bill

Not a fan. I've given it 6 chances to impress me, even camped in a tent without coffee to dive it first and done it at midnight, high season, low season ... Not my sort of wreck. And walking on those ridiculous pebbles and getting smacked by a wave on a shore exit and flapping around like a turtle trying to leave it? Not for me. Too crowded even with just me and a guide at midnight. Go drift dive SD or do Manta Point/Crystal bay but after a LOB I agree with everyone else - relax, explore topside. Don't end your trip on a sub par dive.

@WetPup , @Wingy just really sold the shore dive for me....LOL.

I just think that after such a wonderful dive trip, it would be better ended seeing Bali above the waterline, as another member posted above. Especially considering the travel that will be involved from Sanur and back every day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom