Best GBR day-trip operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver42

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm organizing (for two of us) a few day trips to the Great Barrier Reef in October. What are the top-of-the-line operators?

We won’t be doing a live-aboard, but we’ll probably do several trips over a few days. I am not cost-sensitive in this instance.

Thanks!

The GBR is big :) Where will you be based? Cairns? Port Douglas? Elsewhere?

It is big! Luckily, I can chose to go anywhere. I’ve been told that day trips are only reasonable from Port Douglass, but I’m open to wherever is best.

Cairns or Port Douglas for mainland-based diving :)

Some of the southern GBR islands are nice though.

Some of the better ones you can find here but I would got for Tusa as my personal favourite (and being a Cairns local). Newest of the day vessels with plenty of room, great variety of sites and more ratio of crew to passengers. Guides also now included in the prices as are the Reef taxes so good value.

More budget but still great variety of sites (all these offer up to 3 dives on 2 sites per day and around 90mis travel time) would be Reef Quest or Evolution.

Out of Port Douglas Aqua Quest is (IMO) the best of the crowd and very well priced compared to others like Poseidon. Very few options out of Port compared to Cairns which is the gateway to the GBR and has far more to choose from.

If you want smaller vessels then look at ABC dive out of Port or Reef Day Tripper out of Cairns.

Also consider a 2 day 1 night option out of Cairns as this gives great value ( 7 dives over the 2 days and remember food and accommodation costs when added to 2 days trips would usually be far less than the day trip option. Ocean Quest and Reef Encounter offer the 2 day 1 night option.

Cairns Local here.

No there are a hell of a lot of day trippers or overnight operators to answer your question.

Don't know what your after for top of the line but descriptions of operators I have dived on.
Tusa T6 & Divers Den. 2 dive sites, up to 3 dives in total. Dive time 45 mins per dive. Can go unguided if you choose to. Roving permits so can go to many different reefs depending on the weather. Both pretty good operators.
Passions of Paradise. 2 dive sites, up to 2 dives in total. Dive time 60 mins per dive. Can go unguided if you choose to.T Pretty good set up and is becoming a lot of locals operator of choice.
That's about it for the unguided option as far as I know.
Generally most operators are pretty good I can't think of any I would not recommend.
Generally look out if you get 3 dives in and which reefs you would go to. Weather dependant as always.
Flynn, Milln are pretty good reefs to get out too.
Most Operators generally do Norman, Saxon & Hastings.
There are a few good live aboard options a Ocean quest for divers den is a good option where you can put a few days out and get in 5 dives a day.
If you can justify the time and money would highly recommend Spirit of Freedom or Mike Ball.
The outer reefs are spectacular.
There is an option of doing the outer reef with Rumrunner which is a really budget option and not as well set up or as polished as other operators but for the price is good and the diving is great.
Not to be discounted are the pontoons for Reef Magic and Great Adventures.
Have been diving them lately and the coral and life out there is really good.

Port Douglas would be Divers Den or Calypso.

But if your near Townsville or Whitsundays try to do the Yongala.
One of the best dive sites you could possibly go to.

PM me if you have any questions about certain operators.

I know I haven't narrowed it down for you but there are a lot of options.

But if your near Townsville or Whitsundays try to do the Yongala.
One of the best dive sites you could possibly go to.

The Yongala is indeed very good. But do yourself a favor and dive it from Ayr. It is a 30 min boat ride vs 3 hours from Townsville.
Did 4 dives during 2 days in the beginning of this month there and can't recommend it enough. Humpbacks on the surface breaching in one of the days.

Back
Top Bottom