Shore Diving Nearest Orlando?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone has different likes / dislikes, so this is just my opinion:

If you fly a lot, Orlando Intl. airport sucks! Tons of tourists all the time, just a nightmare. There is a smaller airport nearby (Sanford) that's much easier to navigate, but depending upon where you fly to M-Th it may/may not be a good option for you. Again, traffic in Orlando sucks! Finally, imho Orlando is culturally just not a very interesting area...dominated by tourism, all things Disney, and strip mall after strip mall after strip mall. However, If I were forced to move to Orlando-area, I'd probably choose to live in the Winter Park area.

Tampa Intl. airport has flights to everywhere & def. faster/easier to navigate than Orlando. An even better option is St. Pete airport, much smaller & faster in/out, and probably more flights and less expensive than Sanford. But you'd need to research if it would be a good option for you based on where you most often fly to.

imo downtown St. Pete is a MUCH more interesting area to live than either Tampa or Orlando. Lots of interesting bars & restaurants, cool shops, and while it is farther away from the best diving in FL, it's still on the water so thus a better option than land-locked Orlando. Very hot real estate market in St. Pete, however, so may or may not be a good choice depending on your $$ situation. FYI I know a very good / knowledgeable realtor that specializes in St. Pete (not me!) if that's an area under consideration.

Have you thought about the Space Coast or areas between Melbourne and Jupiter FL? Love that area.

Well... Orlando is a LOT closer to some great diving than Colorado. You can also come up and dive the springs, which are are a little more than an hour from Orlando.

I wouldn’t buy a house just to dive the Blue Heron Bridge. It’s not all that.

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea is where the shore dive action is...

I've read a lot about BHB and Lauderdale by the Sea, mostly before diving both spots (admittedly only a few times). Until I read this post by @DeepSeaExplorer , I've never seen anyone prefer LBTS to BHB and that mirrors my experience as well.

BHB has a very narrow window to dive.

Well... Orlando is a LOT closer to some great diving than Colorado.

Yep - my mind dwells on that a lot!

I also like the idea of the Space Coast, but I think family would be happier a little closer to Orlando ... a lot to figure out for sure. Like I said early on - I had to get to the diving questions first.

Space Coast is 1 hour east of Orlando on Beachline. Very close to Orlando International Airport.

I recently moved from beachside Space Coast to Clermont area. Check out Winter garden and Clermont. Nice location and easy ride to airport. I hit the springs a bunch and the drive to the good east coast dives isn't too bad(enjoy the open air). Getting to Tampa is only an hourish, st Pete add 45. Good luck in the move. Dont go on I4 if you value your life.

I used to live in the Orlando area. The closest beach diving is Vero Beach about 90 minutes from Kissimmee. Not sure where you are traveling to but Miami and Ft. Lauderdale have excellent connections to everywhere but Asia.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom