4E Arctic vs. Arctic Expedition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RVBldr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone using the Expeditions and if so, how do you like them? For reference, I've been diving the standard 4E Arctic set and it's time to replace. I really like them due to flexibility, and ability to remain warm even when suffering through a flood. For the Seattle area, they work well with Exotherm or a heated vest when it's really cold. I'm curious if the Expeditions are worth the extra $$$.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the Arctic Expedition line is being discontinued. If you’re on the fence of being cold, it’s hard to beat the Halo. If that’s not an issue, I’d replace with another set of Arctics. The X-core set is another option to add warmth.

Scuba force has an Arctic expedition equivalent that's a bit cheaper and works just as well IMO

I have used Fourth Element's Xerotherm underneath an Artic layer in the past. I just bought Halo3D's & I'll never look back. I technical dive in the Great Lakes (about 38-42F bottom temps) & the Halo3D's are so helpful on the deco line. They are simply unbelievable. Add the Xerotherms underneath & I feel like I barely need my heated vest (but I still take it just in case). ...I know your post is about the different Artics, but just thought you'd like to hear about the Halo's & I'm excited to tell you! :)

Hope OP doesn't mind me going a bit off topic but does anyone have experience with Otter's Polar D line? I've heard it's similar to the 4E Arctics.

I had picked up the expedition on sale at dris. When I dove it with rashguard and trunks in 52°, i was quite warm. It was comfortable, easy to get on, and felt warmer than the dui fleece.

Tried the Expedition at the LDS sale today and it did seem a little thicker, and the arms were a little more constrictive. I went with the straight Arctics, they do a good job with either Exotherm or a Santi heated vest underneath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom