Turtle nest rescues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been messaging with Cozumel Turtles as I really want to do this again when I am there next month. Here's what I received today...
Its the first day it will start. So it’s best to contact me here just to confirm things are running smooth. It’s all done by volunteers through the municipal committee of Cozumel Turtles

Here is the info after August 15. Again. Not FRIDAYS
You must have or arranged your own transportation. (Please Message cozumelturtles@gmail.com if you need assistance in arranging now)

The meeting point its at Campamento Tortuguero San Martin at 3:30 pm The area is near a grass hut or palapa restaurant called (San Martin Restaurant) which is on the opposite side of the beach.
Just a little further from this restaurant - you will see the turtle camp sign Campamento Tortuguero San Martin ....

Once you arrive at the meeting point your cash donation of $25pp (USD I am sure) children under 12 free will be given to the Tortugas Crew Volunteers and in exchange you’ll receive a Bracelet to wear for the experience

You will be given a short orientation and follow volunteer crew in your own transportation to the area of the search and rescue nests of that day. It is a physical activity.

Additionally, You will participate in the natural release at approximately 5.30 pm of a turtle nest with the turtle volunteers. You will meet up again back at the turtle camp - meet others and you will use your own transportation to follow the volunteers to a natural release area. It’s along the same stretch of beach

There the turtle volunteers will prepare the area and give an orientation. There is no animal contact. You will witness with others the release Of the natural nest of over 100 turtles to freedom of the ocean

Bring water container comfortable shoes, a hat in case you need it, sun block and if needed bug spray

We want to thank you for you interest in participating with the turtle program committee in Cozumel.

I replied: "Ok, well, I can't provide my own transportation. Last time I rode in the back of your truck, and I am fine with that. And I do want to help dig out old nests searching for eggs and babies that did not make it out."

Sorry there just isn’t an Easy way to arrange this. Perhaps stop by the ecology dept and ask. It won’t be until after aug 15

So, who will have a car, will want to do this one afternoon between August 17-21, and wouldn't mind me riding with you? I'll behave, I promise. I am picking up a box of gloves today for this.

I'm checking with my dive buddy to see if he wants to do it. If so, we can rent a car for the day and you can join us.

I'm checking with my dive buddy to see if he wants to do it. If so, we can rent a car for the day and you can join us.
I don't mind renting a car from Isis, but I don't want to keep it overnight. It'd be great if y'all could. I'd be glad to pitch in on the cost.

I don't mind renting a car from Isis, but I don't want to keep it overnight. It'd be great if y'all could. I'd be glad to pitch in on the cost.

Thanks, Don. My dive buddy is only coming for two days of diving. If he doesn't want to do it, we can go after he leaves. I'm pretty sure he will want to go, though.

glad to hear they are running again this year. there was some questions at the end of last season whether they would be able to continue.

if your ride falls thru, contact jeanie at tres pelicanos. she can probably help you out.

You might wish to contact Jeanie ( dive@trespelicanos.com ). Mike and Jeanie should be driving down again around the 15th. Typically she goes over and teaches classes and assists Pantera on Tuesdays and Thursdays. She may be able to boost you a ride over when she goes on the 20th as she normally takes whoever she can as her vehicle can accommodate.

I spoke with her about a week back to check on the nesting, concerning the Sargasso. I was pretty pessimistic when I asked but was pleasantly surprised to hear her report from Pantera was that the nest count was up from mid-July last year. Hopefully they are adapting to the Sargasso as it looks like this is the new norm.

I got a pretty good deal on a box of gloves to donate. 100 for $8. Got a new boat hat too; see avatar.

upload_2019-7-28_18-42-55.png

My dive Op may be able to give a couple of us a ride. He just told me he's interested and can furnish one. As the trip approaches, I'll see how many and what date.

Thanks, Don. My dive buddy is only coming for two days of diving. If he doesn't want to do it, we can go after he leaves. I'm pretty sure he will want to go, though.
When is he on the island? It seems they are only offering Search and Rescue and Release on Tuesdays & Thursdays, I'll be there August 16-23 but have a sponsored supper on the 22nd, so I have requested the 20th.

Here is their post from today...
New update but still need confirmation.
So please message And Read all of the below.
Nesting is also available to participate nightly. Again need a confirmation

Releases only on Tues and Thursdays starting August 15 (no Fridays - saved for schools and local community large groups)

Search Rescue and Release

*Search Rescue and Release

Need a confirmation
Search and Rescue and Release Cozumel Turtles

Date: .....beginning August 15
NO FRIDAYS and on TUESDAY AND THURSDAY ONLY (watch her for Sept/October updates

You must have or arranged your own transportation. (Please Message cozumelturtles@gmail.com if you need assistance in arranging now)

The meeting point its at Campamento Tortuguero San Martin at 3:30 pm The area is near a grass hut or palapa restaurant called (San Martin Restaurant) which is on the opposite side of the beach.
Just a little further from this restaurant - you will see the turtle camp sign Campamento Tortuguero San Martin ....

Once you arrive at the meeting point your cash donation of $25pp children under 12 free will be given to the Tortugas Crew Volunteers and in exchange you’ll receive a Bracelet to wear for the experience

You will be given a short orientation and follow volunteer crew in your own transportation to the area of the search and rescue nests of that day. It is a physical activity.

Additionally, You will participate in the natural release at approximately 5.30 pm of a turtle nest with the turtle volunteers. You will meet up again back at the turtle camp - meet others and you will use your own transportation to follow the volunteers to a natural release area. It’s along the same stretch of beach

There the turtle volunteers will prepare the area and give an orientation. There is no animal contact. You will witness with others the release Of the natural nest of over 100 turtles to freedom of the ocean

Bring water container comfortable shoes, a hat in case you need it, sun block and if needed bug spray

We want to thank you for you interest in participating with the turtle program committee in Cozumel.

When is he on the island? It seems they are only offering Search and Rescue and Release on Tuesdays & Thursdays, I'll be there August 16-23 but have a sponsored supper on the 22nd, so I have requested the 20th.

Here is their post from today...

He's arriving on the 16th, but I think he's leaving on the 19th. I'm there till the 21st, so we can go on the 20th. Do I need to sign up?

Back
Top Bottom