Flex hose for backup 2nd stage on a necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This right here is why I am glad this question was asked. Miflex hoses are very appealing with their flexibility, light weight and pretty colors. I would really like to try them, but I can't risk them wearing into my wetsuit or especially my drysuit.

And Achim from InnerSpace Explorers uses them too, which is a pretty solid endorsement, I would say.
I’ve been using flex/braided hoses for many, many years. I’ve noticed zero wear on my hood (which covers my neck seal) so no issues at all.

@superheavydeathmetal the hoses work well enough as long as you take care of them, but I wouldn't use any instructors use of them as an endorsement on whether you should switch to or from what you're happy with using as the variables that they used to choose that specific product may be very different than the ones that you need to use for yours.

I wouldn't worry about any abrasion on your wetsuits, but if you die without a hood they like to pull hair and on the drysuits with latex seals they can accelerate the wear a bit. If you only dive single tank backmount without a 5'/7' long hose though then the neck thing isn't really relevant since no hoses are laying on your neck. If you dive doubles, sidemount, or use a long hose then they do lay against your neck and that's when the hair ripping starts to become a nuissance

tbone,
Does the miflex hose pull your neck hair(s)? Cause my head is as bald as a bowling ball, so if it’s head-hair you’re talking about then I’m home free.

@mcpowell yes it's the fine hair on the back of my neck that it pulls. The hose shouldn't be up near your head. It's not that big of a deal for most people but it's enough that when combined with some of the longevity concerns and the formerly super high price I have opted to stay with rubber

Hmmm, I'm wondering if some electrical tape or a hose protector right where it makes contact with your head might help...

A few minutes in the sun and that electrical tape will be a gooey mess far worse than the problem it was intended to alleviate.

Try the hoses from Piranha dive, best prices and great quality hoses. I have them on most of my rigs, including warm water stuff were I use a long hose and around the neck.....no issues. If it’s a concern they also have ultra flex, similar to miflex but feel like rubber.

@rsingler how rude :p

@CephBirk I'll stick with rubber. They are comfortable enough and I prefer the ball swivels anyway since it helps reduce the jaw fatigue and pain that I experience from TMJ. The flex hoses don't do that for me so I would just as soon not use them. If I traveled extensively and weight was a concern then I would look at using them for the weight savings, but I don't travel often enough for the half pound of weight savings to matter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom