Missed deco stop, lock out?

If you miss a deco stop and surface, will your dive computer lock you out?

• I don't know

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 53 36.6%
  • No, if no, please list the brand, and model, if relevant, below

Votes: 85 58.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And at what point does someone get locked out of there computer and they fix it by pulling the battery, resetting the tissues? Where does it leave them?

No responsible diver would ever do that. But face it, there are a lot of resort special divers that are diving. The one who locks out for a missed deco and wants to keep diving is the same one who will just pull the battery. Computer now says good, lets go di(v)e.

Yes, you cringe. Yes, you know it is wrong. But you still know there are fools out there who do it.

Not sure, but I believe that all of my fancy Uwatec Aladins go into SOS mode if you violate them.

Even worse? I think the "sport" models are extremely vague on your deco obligations and only provide ceiling info and no time info. I could be wrong as I have never tested them.

There's nothing mathematically wrong with keeping the calcualtions going while the subject's gas loading is above the M-values. But you better be very sure your subjects a) understands what it is they're doing and b) is not likely to sue everyone when stuff goes sideways.
Yea and that is why the shearwater is primarily a tech puter. It could use a change or two in this area when in rec mode for sure.

The real question for me is why is one missing a deco stop AND if you did, why are you worried about a lock out?

If I missed a deco stop, I’m headed back down ASAP to complete the stops, if I can’t for some reason, I’m going on O2 and staying out of the water fo 24 hours.

And at what point does someone get locked out of there computer and they fix it by pulling the battery, resetting the tissues? Where does it leave them?

No responsible diver would ever do that. But face it, there are a lot of resort special divers that are diving. The one who locks out for a missed deco and wants to keep diving is the same one who will just pull the battery. Computer now says good, lets go di(v)e.

Yes, you cringe. Yes, you know it is wrong. But you still know there are fools out there who do it.

IMO That is a different situation than the unknowing ding a folow up dive not realizing what happened becasue the computer is still working. Your example is some one deliberately risking themselves AND WITH KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT THEY ARE DOING whether they know why or not. Kinda like rigging the seat belt to say used when it is not.

What I don't get in all this is, all the people who're happy their birdix does not lock out:
- are you guys deliberately skipping mandatory decompression and then keep diving?
- Or are you setting your conservatism factors to the levels you never intended to keep in first place?

Enquiring minds would like to know.

(I get the marginals: nerd on a loop overhead, and plain user errors: forgetting to set O2% on a backup so it thinks you're diving air, but the ones that sound like missing deco on the primary is Situation Normal(tm)... mind boggles.)

Perhaps I missed it but I got a different take from the question. I did not think the question was being asked to find out what computer you could over ride, rather what computers are in use that do not lock up and perhaps why?

It's a thinking man's computer.. I'm buy one for my wife ...
Your wife is a thinking man??? ;-)

I think that it's safe to say that the vast majority of divers don't know what to do in the case of missed deco, so locking them out really isn't a horrible idea. The computers should probably flash something like "Get Thee to a Chamber!"

A buddy of mine dropped his Nitek backup (which he had just switched to eANX 50) and it sat on the bottom in 130' before it was found two weeks later and returned to him. Apparently it was beeping and squawking and flashing and cursing before someone finally pulled the battery. It was one sad, bent, toxed little 'pooter.

As you say, we here talk about reasonably resposible divers - a lot of the resort divers don't think they are doing anything wrong when they break all the rules.

There are folk who, if they get a deco warning and skip the deco during the dive (through ignorance of the fact that it is actually deco showing), will actually lower the computer on a line until the deco warning clears!

So long as the computer says yes, they think they are ok (irrespective of how they got it to say yes).

Perhaps I missed it but I got a different take from the question. I did not think the question was being asked to find out what computer you could over ride, rather what computers are in use that do not lock up and perhaps why?

Oh, I'm just wondering why even care in the first place: as most of us seem to agree, if one has to skip mandatory deco for whatever good reason, they would not be diving in the next 24 hours. So who cares what the computer does during that time.

Oh, I'm just wondering why even care in the first place: as most of us seem to agree, if one has to skip mandatory deco for whatever good reason, they would not be diving in the next 24 hours. So who cares what the computer does during that time.

You and I see things differently that a new diver through the eyes of a couple dozen dives. your post I agree with totally but new divers do not think that way. With out a lock out, they just see a new Ndl when they are down and think nothing about it unless the puter locks up and they are forced to accept the next dive is with out a computer. Like I said before the tech types can handle such a thing adn will mostly make the right decision for a looooong SI or just call it a day. Many have no understanding what levels of conservatism is and why their puter does things when others do not, and the surprise when they see their first call for deco and no one else has it. I MEAN SHOULDNT THE MOST SAFE SETTING ON THE PUTER PREVENT THIS????? Again we know different, adn the manufacturers know this. This is one aspect of diving that I wish should be either taught as a class or included in AOW courses to put some meat in the class. DECO does nto have to be in depth but enough to stop newbies to deco from doing something they may regret.

Back
Top Bottom