Padi & Asthma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. Reread the last sentence I quoted...

"I just asked in terms of insurance..."
Might not be financial or liability insurance. Could be meant as "insurance that I will be able to dive." That is the way I read it after it initially gave me pause to think.

Might not be financial or liability insurance. Could be meant as "insurance that I will be able to dive." That is the way I read it after it initially gave me pause to think.
Okay. If they typed assurance...

Only the OP knows what they are concerned about.

I claim most people will agree they need a current signed medical release from their doctor for some dive operators (maybe many, most or none depending upon the destination?).

I am still curious about their mention of insurance.

Well guys thank you so much for the answers.

English is not my native language, and also i'm not familiar with all the regulations.
So maybe the way I phrased the question was a bit confusing

The status is this.
I did the course (where i stated that I have asthma), so i'm certificated diver
I am doing the diving insurance when I go diving
The places where I went diving didn't ask any medical questions, they just wanted to see log book, my diver card, and insurance.

In the case where something bad happen, will I be covered by the insurance? Or should I provide more medical approvals....? (crossed fingers that nothing will happen!)

From your answers I understand that i'm fine, the approval only required for the course (unless a shop is asking for it specifically)

And now it's on me to be aware to my condition and go to the doctor once in a while to make sure I can dive

Am I right?

Thanks a lot!

Well guys thank you so much for the answers.

English is not my native language, and also i'm not familiar with all the regulations.
So maybe the way I phrased the question was a bit confusing

The status is this.
I did the course (where i stated that I have asthma), so i'm certificated diver
The places where I went diving didn't ask any medical questions, they just wanted to see log book, my diver card, and insurance.

In the case where something bad happen, will I be covered by the insurance? Or should I provide more medical approvals....? (crossed fingers that nothing will happen!)

From your answers I understand that i'm fine, the approval only required for the course (unless a shop is asking for it specifically)

And now it's on me to be aware to my condition and go to the doctor once in a while to make sure I can dive

Am I right?

Thanks a lot!
The insurance is a different topic. You need to check with your insurer. I use DAN and I am asthmatic, I asked them directly the question rather than asking on an internet board.

We cannot answer your question without knowing what you mean by the following:

If you do dive, be sure to tell the crew you have asthma and where your inhaler/medication is, if you have one. That way if there's an emergency, they'll know how to respond.
It's up to the operator is he wants the added responsibility or not, so your condition might preclude you from diving with some operators.

The dive operator should give you a basic questionaire on your medical history. If you answer yes to any of the questions then you have to have a a signed permission from a doctor to be able to dive. These are usually valid for up to 12 months. one of the questions does ask about asthma. As for insurance, I dont believe it is mandatory but I definitely reccomend it.

So long story short, Yes you will need a new medical and will for every year you continue to dive.

The dive operator should give you a basic questionaire on your medical history. If you answer yes to any of the questions then you have to have a a signed permission from a doctor to be able to dive. These are usually valid for up to 12 months. one of the questions does ask about asthma. As for insurance, I dont believe it is mandatory but I definitely reccomend it.

So long story short, Yes you will need a new medical and will for every year you continue to dive.
Interesting. Why do you think the dive Op needs to know your personal medical information?

You are certified. Good to go?

Have you had a rental car agency ask invasive personal health questions?

Interesting. Why do you think the dive Op needs to know your personal medical information?

If you crash a rental car it doesn't look bad for the rental agency, however if you have a dive accident it tends to look pretty bad on the shop that took you out even if they were not at fault.

It's a pretty standard practice. Covers everyones rear end if things do go south.

Driving a car is not done in an environment that the human body cannot naturally survive in, where as SCUBA diving is, hence the higher standard.

Any medical condition that could impact the diver/dive in the slightest should be disclosed to at least the person one is buddied up with, and if there is a guide leading the group then that person as well...before entering the water.

Getting in the water (AKA diving) is a decision, it should be an informed one.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom