can you crossover your divemaster certification to another agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lou101

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone

So in need of some helpful advice. I am an SSI certified and very experienced divemaster, and have been working in Thailand for a long time. However, I am looking to move on and it seems that a majority of dive centres will not accept me as a divemaster as I am not PADI certified. Is it at all possible to do a crossover to PADI so that I have an opportunity to work in the places where I wish to work? Does anyone know if that is possible? I don't really want to go up to instructor, I am thinking more of eventually working towards professional underwater photography. Any helpful advice on how to crossover to PADI would be great, as far as I am aware so far, I would have to take the course again :(

I know we took some SSI DM's and put them through PADI IDC but they had to learn some skills covered in PADI DM that weren't in SSI - so there will be course discrepancies.

Generally shops (if sensible) accept certs of a different (mainstream) agency if equivalent. I don't know the SSI Course or ratings to judge equivalency

Generally cross over courses start at Instructor level. beneath that you take the agency course. I was a BSAC Dive Leader (DM) but took the PADI DM course anyway. I was glad I did because I learnt different things in both courses

Unlike SSI, I am not aware of a PADI crossover program per se. Maybe I missed it, looking over my Instructor Manual, just now.
On the other hand, as an experienced SSI Divemaster, I would guess that you could talk to a PADI shop, and could accelerate with a very short course where you demonstrate your skills after learning the PADI "system". Especially since SSI's Divemaster requirements are roughly equivalent to a PADI Assistant Instructor.
If it were our shop, we'd give you a discounted price, as well.
I went the opposite route, where SSI quickly certified me as an Instructor through their defined crossover program.
But frankly, since you do have a course obligation, I'd apply for PADI Asst Instructor, since the prereq is "PADI Divemaster or leadership level with another diver training organization."

Yeah, there is no PADI crossover, you would have to complete the course performance requirements. But as rsingler noted above, as an experienced SSI DM, you could do a shorter version of the course. An SSI DM could start a PADI IDC, but cannot crossover the DM rating to become a PADI DM.

I work on Koh Lanta in Thailand, and we offer two-week programmes in addition to our longer internships - PADI Divemaster Internships Thailand - SCUBA Diving Courses

We also offer uw photography courses for people looking to work as a photographer on dive boats - Underwater Photography Courses Koh Lanta with Narcosis Nick

I don't know the answer. I'd just call Padi HQ and talk to course director.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom