Doubles House Routing with MK17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The MK25 routes so nice. I suppose somebody talked you into the MK17 for cold water?

I got the regs and tanks used, so it wasn't much of a conscious choice, but I do have a Mk17 Evo for my singles rig so I thought I'd get some economy of scales on parts kits or service.

Looking at your Mk25 on your right post, it looks like your (inflator?) hose also kinks due to the bend over the corrugated hose elbow, it's got a little fold from what I can tell. That's basically what mine looked like on the left post, maybe it's not that big a deal then.

The other thing I thought of is buying one of these swivels but the price is not very appealing.

I've tried every other combination I can think of but the only reasonable way to prevent the hoses from aggressively kinking on the left post appears to be this:

View attachment 531727

View attachment 531728

View attachment 531729

Is this configuration a complete abomination? My planned use for these is open water diving, I have no interest, training, or access to overhead environments where the hoses could snag.

Am I missing some alternative way to route them?

Thanks!

You need to be able to manipulate the left valve.

Why do you need to manipulate the valve? Well, if you have a free-flow, you need to be able to shut it down. But even more importantly, if you accidentally roll that valve closed, you need to be able to open it back up.

If those hoses are interfering with that, then as they say, Houston, we have a problem.

The photo with the standard routing (Halcyon regs) shows the first stages well above the top of the wing, whereas yours have the wing up against the first stages. Try lowering your bc on the tanks and you'll gain more space between the valves, backplate and wing. That should help you adopt the standard routing without kinking the hoses.

My doubles end up with both MK17 Diaphragms pointing the same way. Left if facing the tanks, all it does is keep the "Highflow" port from crossing the inflator. See my avatar pic

If only Scubapro would sell the MK-19 in America.

Does Scubapro sell the MK-19 anywhere? It was discontinued in 2010, have they restarted production?

The photo with the standard routing (Halcyon regs) shows the first stages well above the top of the wing, whereas yours have the wing up against the first stages.

I think that's because that photo has the wing deflated, whereas I inflated mine (fully in the second pic).

Try lowering your bc on the tanks and you'll gain more space between the valves, backplate and wing. That should help you adopt the standard routing without kinking the hoses.

I don't think I can. The backplate and wing have a single position, and the bands are installed correctly (just below the shoulder). I would have to move the tank bands down which doesn't seem right. Even then, I don't think it would help with the secondary's hose because that's bending due to hitting the cylinder, not the wing.

I'm torn about the elbows/swivels - they seem like they would solve the problem but I've also read reports of them failing and it adds more maintenance (orings, etc).

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try it out and if I have difficulty reaching the valves I'll make adjustments.

I have the same setup as you for my OC tanks, using SP MK17s. My routing is as in the first pic, the only difference being that my backup reg (left post) is connected via a miflex hose instead of a standard hose. Negates the bend a bit. Have to say tho, I am using steel tanks, so neck length is a bit longer.

What @kensuf said. If the hoses impede you getting to the left post in any way, then no bueno. Also, to really know that, you need to get in the water and try it.

Another option: Change your tank valves to these:

DGX Premium Modular Long Neck Valve, Right (Typical Side) | Dive Gear Express®

DGX Premium Modular Long Neck Valve, Left (Uncommon Side) | Dive Gear Express®

Or sell those ScubaPro regs and get a pair of Atomic M1s. Or Deep6 Signature. Or Dive Rite XT. Personally, I'd rather have any of those than a Mk 17 setup. Bonus, you can probably sell Mk 17 setups for about enough to cover the cost of brand new Deep6 or DR XT regs.

On my doubles, I definitely strongly prefer 1st stages with a swivel turret (so it can rotate to let you deploy the long hose to a buddy without having a 90 degree bend at the 1st stage), and a bottom port (so you can have some hoses pointed down and 1 hose pointed across, and thus have no sharp bends in your hoses).

Back
Top Bottom