skeptic that I am...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbf

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
After many years of doubting the existence of frogfishes, seahorses, mermaids, and the green flash we saw one at last.

Went to captain Dons for happy hour, Moogie, and pizza last night. We watched the sun set and there it was, a bright emerald green, no-doubt-about-it, flash.

So, over the last several years we've seen frog fish, seashorses, and now a green flash.

But those mermaids... I'm just not a believer until I see one.

I must confirm that was indeed a green flash yesterday! I also never believed anyone saying they saw it. Pretty cool :)

Reactions: gbf
Yes, the green flash does exist. Most commercial pilots that fly East to West routes in the vicinity of sunset or West to East routes at sunrise have likely seen the green flash. Sailors and beachgoers can also see the green flash if the horizon is unrestricted and atmospheric conditions are right The problem is that if you blink at the wrong time, you miss it.

I've seen a number of them, but then I'm an oceanographer....

My first was on a research cruise northwest of Scotland. We were a group of maybe 20 all standing on the fantail having a cup of coffee after dinner, watching the sun go down and talking about the green flash. We were all scientists and mostly skeptics. Then, it happened....and it was an instantaneous conversion to all believers. Wow. I've seen many more now, including one I got a picture of. The Vatican Observatory has published a book of photos of the green flash. The second floor of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Colorado has photos on its walls.

Yep its real. I’ve only seen one really good one ever though. The rest I had to convince myself.

For years, I thought the green flash was like a snipe hunt until I actually saw one. Now you can see videos of it on youtube.

It looks nothing like what you would expect from the stories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom