Diving air to 60m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@John Bantin one of my favorite articles which I have read multiple time is by John in which he takes a stance against (ultra) deep air diving (100 msw/330fsw). Well worth a read! (And John, nice to see a picture of a young(er) Karim Helal then - I knew him more recently in his return to life as a banker :))

Get it wrong and you're dead

Thanks! It is an educational reading.

I thought divers doing 60m on air are nuts. Those guys doing it at twice the depth. That is crazy & suicidal!

Let me see if I can sum up the argument Mac is making:
Air diving deep is just as safe or safer than trimix because Mac uses air and hasn't died. That about sum it up?

Sounds a lot like "driving drunk isn't more dangerous than driving sober because so-and-so has driven drunk a lot and never had a problem, thus proving it's safe"....

Both arguments lack any sort of actual data supporting the conclusion.

Are we all certain that we are discussing 60 meters rather than 60 feet, and they are of different lengths, not just different unit names? The argument makes a lot more sense for feet. After all, it wouldn’t be a first time that an American is ticketed for inadvertently speeding in Canada.

Let me see if I can sum up the argument Mac is making:
Air diving deep is just as safe or safer than trimix because Mac uses air and hasn't died. That about sum it up?

Sounds a lot like "driving drunk isn't more dangerous than driving sober because so-and-so has driven drunk a lot and never had a problem, thus proving it's safe"....

Both arguments lack any sort of actual data supporting the conclusion.
You summed it up to suit what you wanted to say.
What you should have read is.
Air diving is safer for Mac because Mac knows what’s best for him.

@mac64 sorry mate that is not intellectually honest of you. I'm just boarding a plane so a bit difficult to quote the exact passages, but you said that everybody suffering from hypercapnia should visit a doctor because it was not normal, that narcosis is a myth, and that there are absolutely no benefits to trimix (while having no experience with trimix).

You were making general statements that contradict science and general accepted knowledge and limits in the tech diving community (ppo2, ead, end, gas density)... if it was just about your personal dives i wouldn't have reacted.

what’s best for him or her

After years of being on Scubaboard - I have found that very few threads have changed my mind on various diving positions. Don't get me wrong I have misunderstood technical information and I have learned some lessons from this board.

But for me - it takes a friend who dives to take me aside and mention what I am doing may or may not be safe. The keyboard warrior aspect of Scubaboard is sometimes an issue at least for me. And I have at times been on the attack - when I should have just backed off - I am fairly certain my stance did not change a single attitude or position for any diver - new or experienced.

So I am just going to say - if I don't like the way you are diving - and I am going to be quiet unless you might impact me or someone I know. Otherwise have a great dive with or without the 2 cents... I am not the scuba police and you are not my conscience - Save Diving :)

And if I need to say it because it may be misinterpreted - mac64 I agree with your approach...

That's part of the problem with the internet. On one side you have those who refuse to accept the new norms because they have always done it one way. On the other side are those who are quick to tell you how wrong you are because their instructor told them so. Anyone with experience diving air to sixty meters understands the risks. If narcosis gets too strong, you ascend to a shallower depth. If you get a CO2 narcosis hit suddenly from heavy breathing due to overwork, stop and take two or three deep, slow breaths. The narcosis will go away.

I have done dives on trimix as well as a few hundred deep air dives. Helium gives you a clearer head and makes deep diving safer. That doesn't mean that there is a boogie man waiting for you at sixty meters if you're breathing air.

Are we all certain that we are discussing 60 meters rather than 60 feet, and they are of different lengths, not just different unit names? The argument makes a lot more sense for feet. After all, it wouldn’t be a first time that an American is ticketed for inadvertently speeding in Canada.

60 meters. You need to read the original threat & news:
Diver dies on 60m deep air dive
Diver died on deep air-dive - Divernet

@mac64 sorry mate that is not intellectually honest of you. I'm just boarding a plane so a bit difficult to quote the exact passages, but you said that everybody suffering from hypercapnia should visit a doctor because it was not normal, that narcosis is a myth, and that there are absolutely no benefits to trimix (while having no experience with trimix).

You were making general statements that contradict science and general accepted knowledge and limits in the tech diving community (ppo2, ead, end, gas density)... if it was just about your personal dives i wouldn't have reacted.
But people can read what I said. If they wish,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom