Teric Flying and Depth-Pressure for Algorithms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Considering buying a Teric but have a couple of questions. I've done searches for saltwater and flying to no avail:
  1. Since the Teric uses pressure only to identify a dive, how does it not go into dive mode when an airplane starts a descent, and how does the dive algorithm still maintain accuracy during the beginning of a high-altitude dive? I have a (very old) Citizen Aqualand that I used to have to watch carefully as to not get the dive indicator wet (with sweat) as the plane started descending or it would go into dive mode and I would have to reset it to get it out of that perpetual dive. Saw the same perpetual dive issue with the Peridix by another diver, although the Peridix isn't a watch. BTW, I would never start a dive without first setting the Teric to dive mode, checking tank pressure, and letting the computer baseline the altitude.
  2. Is the type of water able to be selected? I saw a menu item in the setup, but didn't see that saltwater or freshwater was actually able to be selected. There is an explanation that the Teric uses a compromised, (between the two - acceptable industry standard) as a default pressure for tissue loading calculations, and I assume for depth display too.

1. Have never had mine go into dive mode on descent.
2. It is selectable

You can put the Teric into either Watch mode or dive mode. When it watch mode it disables much of the dive functionality to conserve battery life. It is very very easy to switch from watch mode to dive mode, it is a top level 2 button push thing

You can select water type.

If I were to guess, it has to do with the speed of the pressure increase when the pressure is below 1atm. With an airplane you go very slowly from about 0.75atm to about 1atm. While on a dive the pressure builds up pretty quickly.

Never had a petrel or a predator go into dive mode from an altitude change either. If that's happening something is amiss.

Thanks all for the responses. This morning I realized the question about algorithm was a stupid one, as pressure is pressure. Since SW, FW or in-between are selectable, the depth display would be more accurate. Very nice if Dive Mode is locked out when Watch Mode is selected. That would indeed prevent any issues like the one I described with flying!

Back
Top Bottom