Shearwater Teric wish list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick Ruberg

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys,
My first 20 divest with the Teric over the last week and I am in awe. It is a real winner. I have a couple of wishes for firmware and some for the Teric 2 when it comes.

1. A desat time notice similar to other computers.
2. How about a nitrox reset time which you can customise in hours. After this preset time it resets to 21%
3. More watch faces. What a stunning display, but what limited selection. In particular I like analogue watches but I prefer hour markers to a blank face. How about adding some more watch face options. Get some input from the smart watch guys maybe. They’re old pros at this.
4. For the OC Rec mode, a quicker way to get your MOD when setting the gas. Scubapro Galileo has one button access to gas setting and displays MOD next to the nitrox mix.
5. I don’t find a setting for the altitude diving setting. Does it auto compensate?
6. Display an alarm icon on the home watch screen when an alarm is set.
7. Deep stops. I know that’s new research has shown no benefits, but I still believe in them and don’t think they are harmful. Let the user decide whether to use them or not, in particular, I like the scubapro profile dependant stops but I think that may be patented.
8. Compass screen could look more like a compass. When it is active, you can’t see the dive data so may as well use the entire screen and not leave the bits of the dive screen around the edge. They’re useless in that mode. Could it be possible to maybe have the depth still showing somewhere when the compass is on?
9. Timer and stop watch functions. Same story, use the full screen and maybe keep the top value (depth) showing.

For the new Teric (these would need new hardware):
1. An accelerometer so that it can auto brighten or switch on when you bring it up to your eyes. Once again, get help from smart watch guys.
2. A light sensor só that the backlight brightness can be automatically set depending on ambient light.

Perhaps there is an official wish list site where these can be posted.

Any comments?

More reading on a few of your items.

1 - Flying After Diving - Shearwater Research

5 - The Teric does automatically adjust for altitude. The range goes to 500 millibar which is equivalent to roughly 18,000 ft. Please keep in mind that the operational range of our computers does not imply that diving at these altitudes is a safe common practice. There is very little data, if any, related to diving at high altitudes.
Five Rules Shearwater Broke With the Teric - Shearwater Research

7 - Review of Deep Stops in Technical Diving - Shearwater Research

FYI Here's some older threads with wish lists in them.
New Teric and nitpicking
The Shearwater Teric Announced

Here's some things from those lists:
An option to add SurfGF & Tx as a pair.
Navigating between Standard and Big screens is easier during a dive.
Dive alerts - tank pressure, time and depth
Temperature granularity 0.10
SOS flashlight
extra mark(s) for compass etc + +
find my Teric - ala Find my iPhone.
Client Info for Teric via SW Cloud
Sidemount Mode
in Watch Mode connect to cell phone
digital rotation of face
2nd TIme Zone
an easy way to see off/on gassing - perhaps via - colour SurfGF
SS hover mode

p.s. the Teric already has an accelerometer

>> 2. How about a nitrox reset time which you can customise in hours. After this preset time it resets to 21% <<

Why? That’s the single biggest reason of lockouts on LOBs. You’re also assuming the the Teric has been set up for air as an available gas.

>> 7. Deep stops. I know that’s new research has shown no benefits, but I still believe in them and don’t think they are harmful. Let the user decide whether to use them or not, in particular, I like the scubapro profile dependant stops but I think that may be patented. <<

Get a SUUNTO. You’ll find few fans here of anti-vaxxers or deep stops. Not so sure about DS being “harmless” either.

1. An accelerometer so that it can auto brighten or switch on when you bring it up to your eyes.

I use readers. Won’t help me. I can see the Teric on my wrist at 30-60cm.

I don't know for sure, but I thought Shearwaters never locked you out?
From the manual:

No Lockout for omitting [safety stop]
There is no lock-out or other penalty for omitting a safety stop, as they are optional. If you ascend to the surface before the safety stop countdown finishes, the safety stop will appear paused, but this will disappear once the dive ends. We recommend performing safety stops as planned as they offer a reduction in risk of DCI and take little time.

No Lockout for violating Deco Stops
There is no lock-out or other penalty for violating decompression stops. The policy is to provide clear warnings that the decompression scheduled was violated, to allow you to make decisions based on your training. This may include contacting your dive insurance provider, contacting the nearest recompression chamber, or performing first aid based on your training.

I've never blown a deco stop so I don't know for sure, but I thought Shearwaters never locked you out?

@Nick Ruberg is requesting a fundamental change to the Teric’s behavior. Auto-reverting to an air mix following an EANx dive. Oceanic used to employ that dubious feature. (Flipping to 50% mix by default) after your first Nitrox dive. Unless you were prepared to ignore your computer on that dive, you would always violate your PPO2 max and cause endless hilarity if you tried to dive after that. I don’t think that’s a good strategy. Made me attentive to that feature on my Proplus though.

I’m not intimating that a Teric will lock you out- simply that that feature is ridiculous and I don’t want it on Teric 2.

I’m not intimating that Teric’s will lock you out- simply that that feature is ridiculous and I don’t want it on Teric 2.
Yeah no one in their right mind would, I was only referring your lock out comment.

The auto revert can be useful. Scubapro Galileo has this as an option. It will revert to air after 24 or 48 hours. If you do some continuous dives using nitrox like on a live aboard and then go back home, I will go back to air after that time, if you dive with nitrox and forget to reset your DC then you will be safe from a time point of view (not MOD of course). If you dive with air then all is fine.

Remember these are suggestions for features which can be enabled or not. For some people this may not work, just don’t enable it (that’s what SP does) but the more features are available the more versatile it will be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom