Should TDI Helitrox replace AN+DP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrong answer try again.

Do me a favor and go dive Ginnie on air or 32%. Then do the same dive on something like 30/30 or 21/35 and let me know how different the cave looks. I work in Largo and live in St Pete and have a booster and a compressor. I'll even fill your tanks for you for free (if you have an appropriate cert) so we can see how the experiment goes. The first time my wife dove Ginnie with helium creeped her out. It was a totally different cave and she was shocked at how much she hadn't seen. Even for me and her that rarely get narced, the difference was and is eye opening.

THIS!

I did my Helitrox in cave and THIS convinced me it was the right thing to do.

In other words, why not getting Helitrox even if we don't often dive with Helium later, so that at least you could use it if needed.

Not every instructor that teaches AN/DP also teaches helitrox. Half the instructors around here, even ones that teach trimix, don't teach helitrox. If you have a good instructor that does both, I don't see any real reason to not go for helitrox.

Not every instructor that teaches AN/DP also teaches helitrox. Half the instructors around here, even ones that teach trimix, don't teach helitrox. If you have a good instructor that does both, I don't see any real reason to not go for helitrox.

According to my understanding instructor has to be certified trimix instructor to teach Helitrox and Trimix courses. For example when I did my courses, AN/DP was one instructor, however, Helitrox was tought by another (trimix) instructor. I was also shown presentations which were prepared for trimix course.

Based on your scenario you may as well add the Helitrox class. Costs of helium will be relatively small due to amount and dives required. You get all the benefit of AN/DP but now have the option to add helium for all the reasons stated above.

But do you confirm that DP and Helitrox are the same course, except the second includes helium fills and probably some explanation about the pros and cons diving with He.

I checked few dive centers and they often offer the package AN/DP or AN/Helitrox for the same price (excluding helium price)

Basically, they're the same. Texbook wise, to do Helitrox you're required to have access to the Normoxic Trimix materials (or complete the e-learning).

I took my Intro/AN/Helitrox course a little while ago. Helium was a must for me, because I recognize that I'm pretty susceptible to Narcosis as shallow as 30m sometimes. There have been other times where I was at 35m and didn't think I felt a thing. I think the option should definitely remain to take DP, just because helium may not be readily available, and ultimately it's up to the individual diver to commit to the dive, and the instructor to decide whether or not that diver has the maturity and focused mindset to even certify them at a technical diver.

I believe having more options and knowledge is always a plus as an individual. This is something that heliox gives over AN/DP.

Doesn't mean that after the course you should always dive a He mixture, no but it does give you the option, and allows you to make a more informed decision. You don't want to be like the guy in another currently running topic (Diving air to 60m), being adamant that the benefits of trimix are a myth while he never ever dived trimix.

From an agency point of view, I understand that they want to keep this class, having the instructor pool, not wanting to lose potential customers, etc.

I talked with the local instructor who teaches Helitrox/DP earlier this week. From his comments, I get the impression there’s not a lot of demand locally for trimix classes, but that a lot of people are asking about Helitrox, due to the local diving conditions

Still on the edge between getting AN/DP or AN/Helitrox.
I like the idea of getting the option to add 20% He in my tank if needed, but I don't like the overcost coming with it.
I have contacted few instructors and the minimum additional cost for helium dives during the course is $150 (and up to $250)
At this price, I am wondering if it would not be better to simply get AN/DP then go for Trimix course when I feel ready.

Still on the edge between getting AN/DP or AN/Helitrox.
I like the idea of getting the option to add 20% He in my tank if needed, but I don't like the overcost coming with it.
I have contacted few instructors and the minimum additional cost for helium dives during the course is $150 (and up to $250)
At this price, I am wondering if it would not be better to simply get AN/DP then go for Trimix course when I feel ready.

Helium is great. Technical diving is expensive. The small cost now is nothing in the grand scheme of technical diving. It's worth it, even within the AN/DP levels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom