Mauna Kea manta snorkel on your own

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went and dove last night. No problems at all, we hung out on the beach after until 10:30 or so. No locked gates, no harrassment of any kind.

Did you park in the public shoreline access lot?

Thank you !! That is very good to know.

Since my manta dive on Friday night was a manta no-show, we went to the Mauna Kea last night to see if I could get in the water with some mantas before going home...

It was me, my camera, and six(!) mantas for over an hour of amazingness.

The guided snorkel from the hotel was out there when I started (around 9pm) - but they went in shortly after. A white tip reef shark was around, but i only saw it once.

After I left, around 10pmish, a small boat parked nearby sent out a guided group of about 14 snorkelers all holding onto a float. This was annoying because the float had a powerful light on it and they kept maybe 30 ft away from the mauna kea light. All the mantas went to swim under this guided boat group and the people at the mauna kea overlook didnt get a show.

A bit concerned about this turning into a new guided snorkel spot - people were saying its $175-$200 per snorkeller?

Well it's amazing to do it for free, no guide, just you, the mantas, a shark, a camera, and a starry night.

Will share pics after I process them! (Insta @johnbernhelm)

Has anyone scuba dived this? Thinking about snorkeling or diving here with the Manta's.

Here are some more pics and a video!

Great pics! What camera did you use?
Thanks! Olympus tg5 in dive housing, Sola 800 as a focus light, 1x Inon s2000.

Has anyone scuba dived this? Thinking about snorkeling or diving here with the Manta's.
I've thought about that too, but haven't tried it yet!
1. it's very shallow, like ~10 ft, so you'll probably want to be overweighted
2. if you get out there when the mantas are still around, it might be tricky to find a good vantage spot that isnt in one of their swim lanes. I assume they'd scooch out of the way for you :D
3. It's pretty inconspicuous to bring a light dive bag with fin and snorkel through the hotel, but a full set of dive gear may be trickier. Probably easiest to do the "get to the beach earlier when the public parking is still available" instead of the "park at the golf clubhouse and walk through the hotel" method we've done in the past.

If you go, report back!

@Volksfolks Was wondering if you would give your opinion as to what to wear for protection at Mauna Kea if going to see the mantas at night for snorkeling - will be there in late Oct./early Nov. Would a wetsuit be needed?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom