Tec Instructor Recommendation - Ontario Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slightly out of context, but your insight is always beneficial. The cave deco thing is just one example.

Cave diving does have the potential for some unique deco situations that aren't covered in a normal AN/DP course. A diver wanting to go in that direction would be better served taking the course with an instructor that has experience with those unique situations who is able to impart their wisdom onto the subject. With a cave dictating your profile, there are some considerations that won't even be on the radar of an open water technical instructor, because by-and-large open water deco is always the same framework. The same can't always be said for a cave, hence courses like "Technical Cave Diver" dealing directly with cave deco.

Anyway, just one example where there's greater benefit going with an instructor who is more familiar with all aspects of the diving you want to do.

I'm going to have to agree with Ken. Deco in the open water is harder than in a cave. There are plenty of cave divers who have poor blue water skills because they spent so much of their time in the relatively easy deco confines of a cave. I think you are overstating the 'considerations'. Sure, if by magic you take a OW tech diver and put him back in the cave his deco/dive plan might be for **** because he can't ascend to his planned stops at the set time, but that is not how the real world works. No one is automatically doing deco cave dives. There is basic, intro, apprentice, full....by the time you get to doing deco in a cave you understand you need to look at the cave profile and develop dive plan that accommodates this. There was a question posted here a long time ago about how does a cave diver plan his deco if he can't ascend up, the general theme of the response was 'if you can't ascend up, then you are still on the bottom time portion of the dive'.

In a vaccum, if you were to ask me who would you rather take deco training from--a pure cave instructor or a pure OW tech instructor, I would go with the tech instructor. I think another good example of this is who would you rather teach you to run a reel? A cave instructor or a pure ow tech instructor---ans. the cave instructor. This is not to say that either instructor can't teach a certain topic, but they both have different strengths. For what it is worth, I have taken courses from about 12 different instructors and the best ones were those that had tons of ow and cave tech diving experience.

cpt , all very good points , but 1 thing you did miss is the different task loading each does present , I just think the cave diver is just a different animal (remember I don't teach cave ) and in some ways a better prepared deco diver . I have seen deco cards on people who have a bare grasp of AOW ,granted that was the instructors fault , I just think a cave instructor teaching cave deco would be better ...................just my 2 cents

I agree with jd

There aren't any instructors in Ontario that are actively technical diving at a level that qualifies them to be a compatant to teach.

Find an instructor that is tech diving in there spair time and currently in tune with the the latest in technology and techniques.
You will not find this in ontario.

I agree with jd

There aren't any instructors in Ontario that are actively technical diving at a level that qualifies them to be a compatant to teach.

Find an instructor that is tech diving in there spair time and currently in tune with the the latest in technology and techniques.
You will not find this in ontario.

I believe that @heison does do enough technical diving to keep him current and competent to teach, and he is based in Ontario.

Guys, you're taking the whole thing way out of context. I'm not saying that cave vs ow deco either is better or worse, easier or harder. I'm saying they are different, and if you have an end goal in mind, you should be choosing your instructors based on that end goal, because you want the most relevant information and education to support that end goal.

I chose it as an example because cave deco is DIFFERENT than OW deco in some cases. That doesn't mean it's harder, that doesn't mean it's easier. It means that an OW technical instructor who has never even seen the inside of a cave is not going to know how those differences affect your profile, and how to account for those differences, and as such will be less prepared to give you the most relevant instruction. If the best instructor in the world isn't delivering the most pertinent information, his standing as an instructor is entirely irrelevant, you will not be getting the best instruction for your situation.

Whether we're talking about deco or reel running or any number of skills or environments, choose your instructor based on what you want to accomplish in your diving goals.

Folks...

First and foremost...subject matter is far beyond my level...but having said that...as long as the student is capable of learning/comprehending the material being instructed...the instructor is qualified to instruct...level of instruction...course material is not relevant...

The primary objective is that the student comes away having received a level of instruction which allows him/her to be competent/comfortable in the newly learned skill...and that the instructor has done the best job possible through training/experience/practical application to ensure that happens...

A well trained OW newbie...is just as important as a well trained cave diver...maybe more important...as the cave student was a very well qualified diver going in...while the OW newbie knew nothing...

As has already been said...matching the student/instructor...with the intended goals...baby steps...giant leaps...makes no difference...it's all important...all levels have to be well learned...as well as...well instructed...

W..

What makes you say that?
Facts.

+1 for Stephen . But i think he's in Quebec.

Swimming around on the forest city with an aluminium 40 under your arm or pedaling a bout about somthing you did 20 years ago dosnt make you a compatant tek instructor

It takes a lot of steel down there to stipulate that there is no good tec instructors in Ontario. I can’t comment as I don’t know all of the instructors like you must do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom