Intro From Houston, TX (Tips for a newbie?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimHOUTX

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hey there, guys and gals. Tim here. I am 28 years old and I live in the Houston area. My dive experience is limited to a few vacation dives but I recently decided it was time to get my dive certs.

As a newbie to the site, I spent the last week perusing existing threads and exploring the search function. Found a few threads on the subject but figured I'd reach out for some updated info regarding Houston area dive shops for my Open Water certification...

So far I've looked at Maximum Scuba, Sea Sports, and Gigglin' Marlin for my OW certification. Aside from price, is there something I should be looking for when selecting a place? Does certification agency matter (PADI/SSI)? Any other dive shops you'd recommend? Gear selection tips, buying vs renting, etc...

I'm eager to get started! After my certification, I look forward to several dives through shops around town to hopefully meet some like-minded dive buddies, maybe even some "spearos". As an avid fisherman and bowhunter, I've recently become fascinated by the sport of spearfishing. After a few dives and a bit of experience in the water, I'd love to find an experienced fisherman to show me the ropes!

Pleased to meet everyone. Thanks in advance for the recommendations/advice! I really look forward to tapping into the wealth of knowledge that is ScubaBoard!

Thanks again.

Tim L.

What advice would you give yourself when you were first beginning your scuba journey?

As a newbie to the site, I spent the last week perusing existing threads and exploring the search function. Found a few threads on the subject but figured I'd reach out for some updated info regarding Houston area dive shops for my Open Water certification...
Give Carl Griffing a call at Gulf Coast Scuba. Cannot recommend his teaching enough. An amazingly patient instructor and incredibly knowledgeable. He has done a ton for my family's and my training.
713-888-0006

Does certification agency matter (PADI/SSI)? Any other dive shops you'd recommend? Gear selection tips, buying vs renting, etc...
My son has done up through rescue with SSI and DM through PADI. He has verified what a lot of folks will tell you here. It is the instructor not the agency.

What advice would you give yourself when you were first beginning your scuba journey?

Welcome to the club. It can be addicting.
As for advice, buy slow. Don't get roped into $ equate to safety or functionality. Buy good stuff. Do not buy the most expensive unless it is warranted. Plan on pool time. The more the better. It is boring as sin but generally much more cost effective and convenient for practicing skills.

Welcome to Scubaboard. I hope you fall in love as much as we have.

Welcome to ScubaBoard Tim.

Welcome! Come on in, the water’s warm and just right so long as you don’t come diving where I am (northern California).

Don’t be afraid to ask to see if you can meet the instructor sometime. Having someone you can chat with and are comfortable with is super helpful. Don’t feel like you have to buy all the gear before you get certified, or even soon after you’re certified, especially if you’re not sure whether you’ll like that same stuff in the long run. Take your time, chat with folks, rent, see what you like and don’t like.

Have you taken your class or are you still looking for recommendations?

Hey thanks for the help, bud but I actually ended up going a different direction. Just finished my freediver certification and am HOOKED. I'd still like to get my scuba certs in the near future but for now I'm working on my freediving/spearing. Doing some scouting this weekend and attending "Spearfishing Fun" at Gigglin Marlin 8/14 for a bit of networking... in case anyone is interested in attending.

Back
Top Bottom