How do you pack your gear for an internatIonal dive trip?

How do you pack for an international dive trip?

• Put all of my dive gear in a checked bag.. lost luggage won’t happen to me!

Votes: 13 11.4%
  • BCD and fins in checked luggage, regs and computers in carry-on...

Votes: 89 78.1%
  • Wear your full setup on the flight so nothing has to be checked.

Votes: 12 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The other issue with carrying on a lot of gear is weight limits. US carriers are pretty generous about this, but most other carriers are not. They usually have rather low size and weight limits, and many definitely enforce them.

Not sure I agree that US carriers are more generous. The only airline I've had issues with weight due to scuba gear is AA. You get what, 20KG checked and once you go over it's like $200 each way per bag? Most airlines you get betwen 23 and 32KG and the over-weight costs are far more reasonable and charger per KG over, not some blanket charge.

The only time in dozens of trips overseas we've been hit with excess charges is the Dallas to Coz leg on AA.

Also never had any issues with regs on carry-on. We did have one Filipino security guy take exception to our can lights, but his superior over-ruled him when we pressed it.

Not sure I agree that US carriers are more generous. The only airline I've had issues with weight due to scuba gear is AA. You get what, 20KG checked and once you go over it's like $200 each way per bag? Most airlines you get betwen 23 and 32KG and the over-weight costs are far more reasonable and charger per KG over, not some blanket charge.

The only time in dozens of trips overseas we've been hit with excess charges is the Dallas to Coz leg on AA.

Also never had any issues with regs on carry-on. We did have one Filipino security guy take exception to our can lights, but his superior over-ruled him when we pressed it.
"carrying on"
The carry on limit on most international carriers is 7kg or about 15 pounds. US carriers are absolutely more generous - they don't weigh them.

Fins, mask, backplate/wing, reg, and drysuit in one checked bag, undergarments and clothes in another checked bag, Camera inside housing with one lens and chargers and another lens plus ports and batteries inside a Storm case, also checked. Laptop, dive computer and headphones in a backpack I carry on. I hate when people bring two carry ons and take up all the space in the overhead bin.
View attachment 532546

How did you get a photo of my luggage?

I prefer to carry regs, computers, mask and camera in housing (point and shoot) without oring installed. These are the items I feel would have a big impact on my diving.

BPW fins and exposure protection etc go in checked. I tend to split the gear into two bags. I figure it may double the chance of a lost item but it also doubles the chance I will have at least some of my gear. So far so good.

As someone already posted I make sure my itinerary with contact information for each place I will be spending time are in each bag.

When I pack my bags I put a tag A, B, C etc. in each bag. I put a layer of whatever with the tag and take a picture, next layer tag on top and another picture etc. The pictures are on my carry on camera but also on an email that can be accessed by myself or my partner. I also put a picture of my itinerary, driver's license and Passport(s) in a secure online location or with my hubby if he isn't travelling with me. If a bag goes missing I can easily tell what I am missing and prove it in case I need to make a claim or replace something.

I have had bags delayed in arriving but not in a way that has caused problems for my diving so far. On my way home I don't bother splitting gear but I do take a new set of pictures so if I need to make a claim on insurance it will be easier.

I wouldn’t mess around taking your regs apart. Note that regs are actually not allowed in carryon in the Philippines. I don’t know which part they object to most, and sometimes you may get away with it, but seems best just to avoid that. If you get to security with your regs and they won’t let them through, what do you do then?
Where did you hear/read this about regs and the PI? Is this something relatively recent? I haven't been there since 2012, I think, but had taken multiple flights throughout the country and always had my regs in my carry-on.

I don't know where I originally heard it. Possibly some dive travel agent. Out of curiosity I poked around and found this doc from Philippines equiv of TSA referenced.
ots.gov.ph/images/memos/mc-2015-02.pdf
Under "blunt instruments" not allowed in cabin it lists "scuba gear." How's that for vague? But whatever I originally heard said regs, and when you read of someone having an issue it's regs.

It's hard to find stuff on the website. There appears to be a link to a 2019 list but it doesn't seem to go anyplace useful.

No option for what I do, all in carry on except computers in carry on. Most people I know do similar. Some airlines in the recent past have refused to carry regulators in carry on as they say the hoses can be used to strangle people!

Dive computer, small camera, mask (has correction) and snorkel in carry on. Rest in checked bag.

@annasea it has been very hit and miss for some people for regs on carry on. @Damselfish i saw the same link/doc as you.

I saw people with issues at the airport last year and they had to dump their carry on bag to check the reg then hand carry their stuff that was originally in their backpack wrapped in their jacket. I know many people report not having issues. It is not consistent. Better safe than sorry at security in my opinion. The security, gate, and check in lines in PH are no joke and a nightmare. I wouldn’t want to have to double back and lose my spot or delay myself.

Back
Top Bottom