How often or when should you service a housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@outofofficebrb

My wife just released me and placed me up for adaption
I can have my bags and gear packed in a nano second
Ready to go wherever you are and were ever you want to take me
as long as you are willing and financially able
(just don't tell my red headed wife)

Good luck, have fun and return with stories and pictures

Sam Miller, 111

Ha!
Funny!
And no offense Sam, how adoptable (you meant adoption, not adaption - right?) exactly do you think you are?
:wink:

Well @Schwob ole chap

@outofofficebrb never responded to my wife's generous offer
Sooooo my wife will once again renew my contract for a year (I hope !)

Any way I haven't seen a camera housing I couldn't flood
And I was a Charter member of LA Underwater Photographic Society (UPS) in 1957
and cofounder of Orange County Underwater Photographic Society (O CUPS) a few years later

2019-1957=62 Years--I am sounding more like @drbill with this post

Stay cool and dry

Sam

Does Mr. OOO join you on these trips? Do you both get that much time off?

I have a Nauticam housing. I have about 400 dives on it and had it serviced at Reef Photo and Video. They did a really nice job. I also had my old vacuum lock replaced as it had given up the ghost. The vacuum lock comes in handy. It shoes you that you have a good seal. I have never had a leak while sealed..... of course, that could just be dumb luck.

I usually seal it up about an hour before a dive. If a seal is good for an hour, it is probably good. It also has an LED color change if it is losing the seal, but I don’t check that regularly during dives. And the battery for the system lasts a looong time.

@outofofficebrb

My wife just released me and placed me up for adaption
I can have my bags and gear packed in a nano second
Ready to go wherever you are and were ever you want to take me
as long as you are willing and financially able
(just don't tell my red headed wife)

Good luck, have fun and return with stories and pictures

Sam Miller, 111

I am definitely not financially able but I am very willing. :D

Ha!
Funny!
And no offense Sam, how adoptable (you meant adoption, not adaption - right?) exactly do you think you are?
:wink:

For starters, being a good cook, proficient at laundry, willingness to clean and be a dive gear mule are promising skills to ensure likelihood of adoption. :)

Does Mr. OOO join you on these trips? Do you both get that much time off?

He does not go on every trip. When he does join, he joins for a part of a trip and not the entire duration. He does not get as much time off as me but he is also not as obsessed/crazy about diving as I am. :)

I have a Nauticam housing. I have about 400 dives on it and had it serviced at Reef Photo and Video. They did a really nice job. I also had my old vacuum lock replaced as it had given up the ghost. The vacuum lock comes in handy. It shoes you that you have a good seal. I have never had a leak while sealed..... of course, that could just be dumb luck.

I usually seal it up about an hour before a dive. If a seal is good for an hour, it is probably good. It also has an LED color change if it is losing the seal, but I don’t check that regularly during dives. And the battery for the system lasts a looong time.

Thanks for your insight! What made you decide to service it at around 400 dives? Was it a performance issue like you could feel it in the buttons or a visual clue, or did they suggest that it was time?

I am definitely not financially able but I am very willing. :D

For starters, being a good cook, proficient at laundry, willingness to clean and be a dive gear mule are promising skills to ensure likelihood of adoption. :)

He does not go on every trip. When he does join, he joins for a part of a trip and not the entire duration. He does not get as much time off as me but he is also not as obsessed/crazy about diving as I am. :)

Thanks for your insight! What made you decide to service it at around 400 dives? Was it a performance issue like you could feel it in the buttons or a visual clue, or did they suggest that it was time?

I sent it in for a replacement vacuum lock system. The housing was still performing well, but Reef Photo advised a service. They said there was some corrosion. It is very easy to get a few drops into the housing when you open it up after a dive. Plus, all the white markings on the housing labeling the controls had gone. So it seemed like it was time. I mean a service at 400 dives is not bad and 200 is the suggested level.

It is for the Nikon D800. Sure Nikon now has the D850. But with 36 mp, the D800 still is not bad compared to 45 mp is the D850. Also the D800 has decent ISO performance. Now if the D850 gave several more stops of dynamic range, I would probably jump. The D850 does have faster focus. But the D800 works well with a 14-35 f4, 24-80 f 5.6 and micro 60 f 2.8. It hunts for focus on the micro 105 f 2.8 but I just use manual focus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom