How do you pack your gear for an internatIonal dive trip?

How do you pack for an international dive trip?

• Put all of my dive gear in a checked bag.. lost luggage won’t happen to me!

Votes: 13 11.4%
  • BCD and fins in checked luggage, regs and computers in carry-on...

Votes: 89 78.1%
  • Wear your full setup on the flight so nothing has to be checked.

Votes: 12 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. I wonder if things have changed then. I must have passed through airports at least a dozen times in the PI and never had any problems whatsoever, and my reg was always in my carry-on, as was my u/w camera.
Our first trip there was in 2012 like your last one, and we’d heard nothing about this for that trip. (And that was with a shop which is typically up on every last detail.) The implication where I saw that 2015 notice was that was when it was added, but I don’t know that for sure.

As others have said, there are two main camps here: those who check everything but the fragile and sensitive stuff, and those who pack everything in their carry-on. I have always been in the latter camp, but is certainly nice to not have to lug a heavy pack through various airports.

The rate of baggage losses and delays has dropped dramatically in recent years. The main thing to be on the lookout for when booking travel is the connection time. If it is tight, there is a much higher chance of your bag being delayed. For many destinations, that means you won't have your gear for your first day of diving since there may not be a later flight coming in on the day you arrive. So if you have a tight connection to make, be sure to pack as much as you can in your carry-on.

Thats my take, people have heard horror stories about lost luggage for so many years. But technology seems to have improved things a lot. (And of course people only tell horror stories, rarely do they post to say their luggage arrived just fine.)

Practicing good luggage hygiene helps your already good odds. Anything like easy to find itineraries, no dangling straps to get caught, tracking options are good. Distinctive luggage like anything other than black, or tying colorful ribbons various places helps prevent people from accidentally picking up the wrong bag, and is a good identifying feature to tell the baggage people if something does happen. Besides ribbons we have those brightly colored velcro and neoprene handle wraps all over the place, which are also usually more comfortable to use. And as mentioned, avoiding very short layovers when possible.

I only carry on my computer and prescription mask. Plus at least a bathing suit and coverup. I used to carry my regs on too, on the way out, but I stopped. Most places I go I can rent gear for a day if necessary.
For a LOB we always arrive a day or 2 before departure in case of flight delays or delayed luggage.

Great info - better than what I recall from previous threads on the topic. You can definitely figure out some method of packing depending on the type of diver you are.

Maybe a little envious of those who travel specifically to dive and have a lot of gear to tote, but also a little glad that I, a self described vacation diver, can get all of my gear in a checked bag and a carry-on.

I picked up a few of these sheets at the dollar store and cut them into large random shapes to stick on my black Samsonite hardside. I originally did it, so that I could see them coming off the belt at the airport but it's worked a treat in a few ways. For sure, no one will be taking my bag lol.
Screenshot_20190805-172648_Samsung Internet.jpg

As others have said, there are two main camps here: those who check everything but the fragile and sensitive stuff, and those who pack everything in their carry-on. I have always been in the latter camp, but is certainly nice to not have to lug a heavy pack through various airports.

The rate of baggage losses and delays has dropped dramatically in recent years. The main thing to be on the lookout for when booking travel is the connection time. If it is tight, there is a much higher chance of your bag being delayed. For many destinations, that means you won't have your gear for your first day of diving since there may not be a later flight coming in on the day you arrive. So if you have a tight connection to make, be sure to pack as much as you can in your carry-on.

You should put your arrive a day or 2 early in the tips and tricks thread.

I've not missed a boat yet but saw how easily it could have happened to me after my first trip to Sorong and ever after, no matter where, I get there at least a day early. If nothing else, it helps with keeping jetlag to be somewhat less of an issue once aboard.

I've not missed a boat yet but saw how easily it could have happened to me after my first trip to Sorong and ever after, no matter where, I get there at least a day early. If nothing else, it helps with keeping jetlag to be somewhat less of an issue once aboard.

Now you have me curious. What happened that caused the close call?!

I used to carry the mask and computers in my hand carry but now only the computers.
My hand carry is small enough to fit under the seat so never have to board the plane early to store the bag. It is so funny to watch others fighting for storage space.

BTW, I only use cheap soft bag for my check in stuff. So no one know that I am a scuba diver or the bag contains scuba gear.

Keeping low profile is my preference anywhere.

Now you have me curious. What happened that caused the close call?!

Weather affecting flight departures. This was about a week after Air Asia went down.

That said , weather wasn't a factor when I was leaving Sorong on my way to Bali to meet a friend this past January and Garuda rerouted me. Fortunately I wasn't trying to meet a boat and I had planned to arrive the day before my friend anyway. In that regard, the reroute didn't affect a meet up but did really make me tired and somewhat annoyed. Heh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom