Are AI transmitters as accurate as SPG's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the recall, Suunto supplied an added part, a flow restrictor. That part is different depending on whether mounted on the 1st stage or on a hose. Be sure to make the change if you move to a hose.

With the recall, Suunto supplied an added part, a flow restrictor. That part is different depending on whether mounted on the 1st stage or on a hose. Be sure to make the change if you move to a hose.
Yeah it came with the 2 difference pieces and had instructions on how to install each one depending where you are installing the transmitter to.

@purbeast I don't dive with an analog SPG as a "backup". I keep it in the save a dive kit, though with Suunto I'd be more tempted to use it vs Shearwater.

I'd use one of these instead of a hose with them on both sides.
High Pressure

set it up generally like this and you'll be better off IMO
22829117_10159466553410134_1082948765032450816_o.jpg

... Maybe I should just get a quick disconnect because when I put it in my regulator bag that I got, it's just kind of bulky and if I could just take it off quickly and put it back on quickly, then it would travel a bit better.

The transmitter should only be screwed on hand tight...no tools should be used. Once screwed in to either the 1st stage or a high pressure hose , it is the o-ring that makes the seal, not the threads of the transmitter. This facilitates your ability to unscrew the transmitter from your setup for safekeeping during transport and storage. No need for a quick disconnect which tends to be pricey for a high pressure line and adds multiple possible points of failure to the system.

I will say that I am lazy and just leave my transmitter attached to my reg set, but I travel to/from local dive sites with my reg set in a padded bag.

If you do get in the habit of taking the transmitter off your reg set then I highly recommend having a high pressure port plug in your save-a-dive kit along with the appropriate size allen key, for the day that arrives when you forget to pack that transmitter and don't realize it until after your traveled multiple hours to get to the dive site. Ask me how I know and I will tell you a story that led me to being lazy and keeping my transmitter attached to my reg.

-Z

@purbeast I don't dive with an analog SPG as a "backup". I keep it in the save a dive kit, though with Suunto I'd be more tempted to use it vs Shearwater.

I'd use one of these instead of a hose with them on both sides.
High Pressure

set it up generally like this and you'll be better off IMO
View attachment 532798
Where is what in that photo? I don't even see the y-adapter....or the transmitter.

@tursiops That is just using a standard pressure gauge, but it's the concept of having the first stage angled so the transmitter points down ish instead of straight out like it would if the first stage was in the "normal" orientation

@tursiops That is just using a standard pressure gauge, but it's the concept of having the first stage angled so the transmitter points down ish instead of straight out like it would if the first stage was in the "normal" orientation
Oh, OK. I missed the segue!

The transmitter should only be screwed on hand tight...no tools should be used. Once screwed in to either the 1st stage or a high pressure hose , it is the o-ring that makes the seal, not the threads of the transmitter. This facilitates your ability to unscrew the transmitter from your setup for safekeeping during transport and storage. No need for a quick disconnect which tends to be pricey for a high pressure line and adds multiple possible points of failure to the system.

I will say that I am lazy and just leave my transmitter attached to my reg set, but I travel to/from local dive sites with my reg set in a padded bag.

If you do get in the habit of taking the transmitter off your reg set then I highly recommend having a high pressure port plug in your save-a-dive kit along with the appropriate size allen key, for the day that arrives when you forget to pack that transmitter and don't realize it until after your traveled multiple hours to get to the dive site. Ask me how I know and I will tell you a story that led me to being lazy and keeping my transmitter attached to my reg.

-Z
Or, here's a thought - never leave an open port plug - put the HP plug in anytime you remove the transmitter.

-Z
Yeah I guess that was my only concern about taking it on/off when not using it - being able to close up the port. That is why I was considering a quick disconnect, and yes, I did see they are pricey, which is a reason I didn't jump on one impulsively.

But I guess you are right, I could just keep an alan wrench of the right size with the plug and just hope I always have it on me lol. I just hate how small these things are and that is what makes me worried I'll lose it somehow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom