Recommendations for best reader/gauge reader masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the Superglue Permanent or only Sort of Permanent? My eyes have been wandering toward worse and worse so I need to be able to go to stronger correction.
Intended to be permanent, have not yet tried to remove a lens. If so, I would try a drop of nail polish remover after first testing on an old mask. I believe acetone dissolves cyanoacrylate, but probably other stuff too.

I am 53, and wear progressive lenses on dry land. About 4 years ago, I bought a prescription bifocal mask from these guys: SeaVisionUSA

I was a little hesitant to plunk down the $$ for a mask that I had not tried on first, but went with one of their recommended masks for "most face types" and it has worked like a charm. A lot of dive shops also stock Sea Vision masks, in case you want to try one before you buy.

It's definitely become my favorite piece of dive gear, and the only one that is truly essential to travel with. I see with crystal clarity underwater, and am a much better navigator and spotter of marine life than I used to be, and I can read my gauges comfortably. The only drawbacks are (1) the correction for distance vision works perfectly underwater, but not above water, so when you come to the surface, your vision won't be as sharp; I see about as crappily without any distance correction as with the mask on above water; and (2) when using a bifocal mask, there is some range (for me, around 4 feet) where you find yourself toggling between the readers and the distance part of the mask, which takes a little getting used to.

The only other advice I have is that the defog solution that comes with the mask is awesome. I have used plenty of other defog solutions and none have worked as well. I normally am a real cheapskate and would just go with diluted detergent in a recycled bottle, but whatever they put in their proprietary defog solution really makes a difference.

I just wanted to add my Ditto to this. My identical experience, except I'm 69.

I have the DGX branded reader mask and find it to be a solid mask and a good buy. DGX also sells the Dive Rite reader mask at twice the price. Anybody dive with this Dive Rite? Just wondering if the “reader” field of vision is improved over their DGX reader mask since the reader insert is different in size and location?

Bought a cheap pair of stick on gauge readers (the ones you install wet and let dry). Toothpick and a little silicone sealant. Problem solved.

I tell my customers to use their glue initially to zero in on just where they want it and to be sure of the strength, and then bring it back in for me to use a few drops of Superglue for Glass.

Can you elaborate a little on how you apply the Superglue for Glass?
Do you put it under the lens, or just around the outside, for instance?
Thank you.

K.

Get a mask with removable lenses such as a TUSA Liberator and take it to your local independent optical individual; NOT a chain store. These are usually a little more pricey than the big-box dispensaries but will do a better job of custom fitting the lens placement. I have the same problem with mild astigmatism and presbyopia. My vision has dropped 0.5 diopters over the last 10 years to a -1.75 and where the plain lenses with stick-ons used to work, they don't anymore. At -1.00 to -1.25, underwater I didn't need anything to see well. Also, since I am an underwater photographer, I found that distance vision was changing as well and I was not seeing my gauges or more importantly, the back of my camera housing, nearly as well as I needed. I just got a new set of lenses and it was about $200 total. They remove the lens and bond the new lens to the 0 diopter lens in a clear, waterproof seal. Even the bi-focal portion is smooth and sharp. It looks like the lens came with the mask except for the small half-moon diopter on the bottom. Total it costs less than a new set of complete progressive glasses and I am amazed with how well I can see underwater now. If I were you and want to continue to dive, I would bite the bullet and do it in a heartbeat.

Lastly, the only reason I mention the TUSA mask is that they have not changed the lens shape in over 30 years. The lens from my first mask from 1986 can fit into the newest one I bought as a replacement just for having corrective lenses placed earlier this year. This means that IF I need to change the prescription again in a few years, the only thing I need to do is order another set of plain 0 diopter lenses for it.

Is the Superglue Permanent or only Sort of Permanent? My eyes have been wandering toward worse and worse so I need to be able to go to stronger correction.

I used clear silicon sealer (not grease). Put in the cheaters per instructions, let them dry completely. Then a TINY amount of silicon on a toothpick around the edges. Disappears in the water. Scrape off with a razor (carefully) if you ever need to.

I have the DGX branded reader mask and find it to be a solid mask and a good buy. DGX also sells the Dive Rite reader mask at twice the price. Anybody dive with this Dive Rite? Just wondering if the “reader” field of vision is improved over their DGX reader mask since the reader insert is different in size and location?

I tried the Dive Rite bifocal readers. I liked the position and quality of the bifocal inserts, but did not like the mask overall. It was comfortable enough, but the main lenses are quite small, resulting in a restricted field of view compared to my Tusa Freedom HD, so I returned the Dive Rites.

I have since found that the Trident Diveoptyx stick-ons work well for me—easy to apply, stay on, optically good enough. I had previously tried the Trident glue-ons, but they kept coming off after a few dives. The Diveoptyx have stayed on for dozens of dives so far. The trick seems to be to allow at least 24 hours to dry after application.

I use the Tusa ceos mask. I purchase the Tusa 3.0 lens. Works great, simple for users to install. Much better cost/value than custom lens options. Look up Tusa to see all options. Your LDS should be able to hook you up. I use this when I teach and sell them to one or two students in most classes.

Back
Top Bottom