Suggestions for two days of diving in La Jolla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

65747048_2531403353583172_3862426718020419297_n.jpg

Westerly's new paint job. :)
I don't know who bought the Lois Ann, but I've dived from both boats and enjoyed them every time.

For shore dives - certainly LaJolla Cove. Get there REAL Early for parking along the cliff overlooking it. Otherwise there's a garage a block up the hill,continue past the Cove, the beach and up the hill. You'll have to double back, there's no left there to "downtown" LaJolla - I believe the street is Prospect.

- I believe there's a bank in the same building. If you go out the back door there's stairs that lead right down to the Cove.

The other dive everybody does is the Shores. It's sort of plain near shore but there's a submarine canyon a short swim out - big stuff cruises thru there.

Since you mentioned the Leopard Sharks - you used to be able to dive with them off the Marine Room. IDK if they're still there.

Some of this is dated or lists shops that are closed but it gives a lot of LaJolla info. Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website

There are no boats in LaJolla. Most of them are farther south. Waterhorse is in Mission Bay, Marissa is somewhere in that area also.

If you can find a ride, there should be Kelp off Point Loma but it's been kind of hit or miss for the last decade.

Great write up for shore diving! Just wanted to add that Waterhorse does frequent trips to Point Loma. Kelp looked great when I was there last month. This only applies if you're able to free up that third day and go diving with them though.

Thank you so much for all the great information! Sorry for the delay in responding but work has been crazy. Exactly why I need a vacation and get water moving through the gills again. I will follow up on how our trip went. Thanks again!!!

@gladtobehere

Marc
"gladtobehere" I don't know were you are
~~~~~~~~~ But ~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am over joyed to be in California !

FYI

The 1949 National Geographic magazine article "Goggle fishing in California Waters," Vol ZCV #5,May 1949, is considered by most serious diving magliophile/bibliophile as the fountainhead of magazine articles devoted to spear fishing and the beginning of recreational diving in the US.
And it all took place in La Jolla Cove

Universally known as the "Bottom Scratcher issue," by diving "Magophiles" Pages 615 to 632 are jammed packed with the photographs of Lamar Boren, who later gained fame as the photographer of the Sea Hunt series, there are 7 B&W photographs, 12 "natural color" photographs (in 1949 color photography was in it's infancy) and with a text written by professional National Geographic staff member. This issue should be on every collector/historian library and bucket list to dive !

There is a historical significance of articles of this era that provide a glimpse in to a the genesis of the sport and should be cherished as great historical documents...The crude early Churchill fins; the homemade equipment; the masks, the jab sticks (pole spears) the lack of thermal protection...All these items were in the process of future development.

So by visiting and hopefully diving La Jolla Cove you are diving "where it all began" in California by the Bottom Scratchers spear fishing club - made

Only a few remain who were participants of that bygone era and they are rapidly dwindling in numbers, soon they all will be gone... The last Bottom Scratcher was Jim Stewart whos Bio is in the legends of this board

I would suggest that you goggle the Nat/Geo article, (perhaps bring a copy with you for visually comparing 1949 vs 2019-the difference 70 years makes) and while in California dive into history - La Jolla Cove -- where it all began!

During your down time I would recommend a trip tp the Scrips Aquarium, perhaps a leisurely stroll on the historic Scrips pier

Enjoy California , bring lots of $$$ and don't be alarmed at the price of a gallon of gas

Cheers from California -- where it all began

Samuel Miler, 111

My buddy and I dove San Diego for two days last November, prior to a Guadalupe shark trip. We enjoyed those dives as much as the Guadalupe trip itself. My two cents:

(1) La Jolla Cove is fantastic. We rented two tanks each for the cove, and ended up doing a nearly 2 hour dive on a single tank, so returned the second tank for a refund. When we got to the Cove, sea lions were hanging out on the rocks to the left of the cove, as we looked out to the water. We dove over to the vicinity of the rocks, and just waited for 5 minutes or so, and we had sea lions in the water around us for the next 20 mins, in less than 10 feet of water. You couldn't take a bad picture, and after a while I put down the camera and just enjoyed the interactions.

T7E11G7lnv86Sn3KGTKhNXTiOs06tAHNMoc-ld3T4Mu2-C2lEqyBLAIhjWpqFBvuEcUhDUWXvWyb14mCA=w1920-h1079-no.jpg

nuKUCjoWUb15KdR3-ddsnsiQtDipNT0mPUgAEEF8kigc4cf7WWVfbZu84rilKbeaDydesaSTE-QbwoYUg=w1920-h1080-no.jpg

Here is a 2 minute video of that encounter, filmed by my buddy:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ShX1PdTpFsP2MPNx7

After playing with the sea lions a good while, we kicked out to the kelp beds further out on the left of the cove. You can spot them by the lobster traps that are visible from the surface -- the lobsters are attracted to the kelp, so the lobster traps are set where the kelp is growing. The kelp was 30 feet high.

Incredible diving, for the cost of an air tank rental!

(2) On the advice of a local dive shop, we went to the beach in front of the Marine Room restaurant, and found over a dozen leopard sharks right where the waves break. I don't know why they congregate there, but they do. You actually don't need scuba, you can just swim out to where the sharks are and spend an hour watching them with a mask and snorkel. The only thing about not having scuba is that you are condemned to shooting the sharks from above.

5Pz3E18H1IlZJ1ysG-kyJWntbOPqgSVe3bc7Jcb07RzMzCljpbNYOsPylmRkKvFoFLH6tlrSEIUgJMc4Q=w2480-h1653-no.jpg

(3) We dove with the Lois Anne. We had mixed feelings about the dive boat. It's a nice boat, leaving from a nice marina, with a nitrox refill capability right on the boat, which is great. The mate, Chris, is very helpful. However, I found that the dive site selection left a lot to be desired. Rocky pinnacles with no kelp, no sea lions, very poor visibility, and about 15 degrees colder than La Jolla Cove. Lots of nudibranchs, which were cool if that's your thing -- I enjoyed them much more than my buddy. My buddy very uncharacteristically sat out the second dive, he was really put off by the cold, low viz, and lack of kelp/sea lions. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably skip the boat, and spend two days at the Cove. My buddy would definitely do that.

64vm7irmykD3qkNDNpzTHQ4W9ek8OXnAVCan6ZaUJEvX2ZfWvK_Eklnv7dVrXeAOmbPMzfdlCeWXZ6Wqg=w2724-h1816-no.jpg

Happy to share any info on logistics and such, from the point of view of a two-day visitor, if anyone is interested.

@nippurmagnum I'd love more info (logistical and otherwise) on diving in La Jolla Cove! What great pictures! I love sea lions.

Back
Top Bottom