Swivel for Fusion 52x

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the vad hose protector that black part with mares on it?
@ReefHound
IMG_1709.JPG

The VAD system can be removed, and it should take any standard second stage hose.
Are you positive that the VAD system can be removed? I haven't worked on one yet to really understand the operation of the VAD design other than you are opening and closing another slot for airflow, but based on the schematics I am a little skeptical about that. (But not convinced either way.)

@ReefHound
Should also note that if you remove the hose protector to install a swivel, you are also removing the "handle" for the VAD system. You will have to see what you think about gripping the metal VAD ring to operate instead grabbing the protector, and whether or not there is any sharpness to the metal edges that are now exposed.

Are you positive that the VAD system can be removed? I haven't worked on one yet to really understand the operation of the VAD design other than you are opening and closing another slot for airflow, but based on the schematics I am a little skeptical about that. (But not convinced either way.)

@JackD342 100% positive. Just a little back ground, I am a Mares Technician, and I verified this with the Tech Department with Mares prior to responding to the post.

@JackD342 100% positive. Just a little back ground, I am a Mares Technician, and I verified this with the Tech Department with Mares prior to responding to the post.
Cool, thanks. Was that info from Brad? No parts change, just removal?

@ReefHound, Yes there is clearance, you just won't be able to re-install the VAD hose protector. It will look a little awkward, but it will function just fine.

I don't much care about looks and the 90 degree takes the tension off the hose

@ReefHound
Should also note that if you remove the hose protector to install a swivel, you are also removing the "handle" for the VAD system. You will have to see what you think about gripping the metal VAD ring to operate instead grabbing the protector, and whether or not there is any sharpness to the metal edges that are now exposed.

I think you just loosen or remove that tiny hex screw on the metal ring then pull back the hose protector. As for operating the VAD with the small ring, I will probably just leave it in the normal position. It breathes plenty fine to me and less prone to mad freeflow if removing from mouth for a second.

Cool, thanks. Was that info from Brad? No parts change, just removal?

You’re welcome, and yes I can confirmed with Brad first.

I don't much care about looks and the 90 degree takes the tension off the hose

I think you just loosen or remove that tiny hex screw on the metal ring then pull back the hose protector. As for operating the VAD with the small ring, I will probably just leave it in the normal position. It breathes plenty fine to me and less prone to mad freeflow if removing from mouth for a second.

I'd like to see what it looks like when you do it. And any issues you have.

How soon are you doing it?

Also, does anyone just make a hose with a swivel on the first stage side? Wouldn't that remove the tension you don't like?

Also, does anyone just make a hose with a swivel on the first stage side? Wouldn't that remove the tension you don't like?
Apeks makes a double swivel hose. Haven’t actually laid hands on one, but looks like it is a 360 swivel on a single plane rather than a ball joint. Also looks like it might then allow adding a ball joint at that end.
Apeks Double Swivel Hoses

Maybe I'll tinker with it today, probably won't get to water test til next weekend.

I like running 40" hoses under my arm to second stages so I need the swivel on any second stage where the hose enters at the side. Some octos like the Mares Loop have the hose enter at to bottom, so no 90-degree required on those.

Maybe I'll tinker with it today, probably won't get to water test til next weekend.

I like running 40" hoses under my arm to second stages so I need the swivel on any second stage where the hose enters at the side. Some octos like the Mares Loop have the hose enter at to bottom, so no 90-degree required on those.
Not just octos, primaries too. Mares Loop and Sherwood Maximus to name two.

Back
Top Bottom