What order to buy gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here you go Tampa, almost so close you could be diving it now

full.jpg

Sherwood AViD BCD Sz MD Scuba Diving Vest w/ Tusa Imprex Regulator Set UNTESTED | eBay

The issue with the Seacure - or your own mouthpieceon rental regs is that most shops will need a dayto change it out -

Huh??? It's cutting off a zip tie and putting a new one on. It takes less than five minutes. I've watched at least three shops do it.

Edit: It might be a good idea to bring your own zip tie.

Exposure protection > wrist computer > BC > regs > other stuff > tanks

Exposure protection first because wetsuits are the worst thing to rent.

Huh??? It's cutting off a zip tie and putting a new one on. It takes less than five minutes. I've watched at least three shops do it.

Edit: It might be a good idea to bring your own zip tie.
Any of them 20 minutes before the boat was scheduled to leave?

I know what's involved. But thanks for the useless instruction.

Any of them 20 minutes before the boat was scheduled to leave?

I know what's involved. But thanks for the useless instruction.

Two of them were on the boat, about ten minutes before the dive. If you know what's involved why is it such a hassle??

Exposure protection > wrist computer > BC > regs > other stuff > tanks

Exposure protection first because wetsuits are the worst thing to rent.

That's how I looked at it.

I would recommend regs and BC ahead of computer, but that's just my two cents.

Two of them were on the boat, about ten minutes before the dive. If you know what's involved why is it such a hassle??
I have to agree. Any "good" diver (with their own gear at least) and any good operator is going to have essential tools and such on the boat. A pair of snips (or scissors) and a couple zip ties should be nothing. Easy to do on the way to the dive site and takes maybe 2 minutes assuming you're not in a hurry.

Have to agree with everyone else on order.
Computer, BC, regset, other

Yes you need a good regset that you're familiar with, but there isn't as much variation in operation as there is in BC's. You want to be familiar and comfortable with your BC so you can start working more on buoyancy control, etc. As far as regs go, there are plenty out there for under $500 that are decent gear. Can get a Hog D3 with Zenith 2nd stage and a Mares Viper octo for right around the $500 mark. That's what I bought with the exception of the Zenith 2nd stage because I bought my full face mask at the same time. But I do no have the Classic 2.0 2nd stage that I use as a backup or anytime I'm DMing classes.

Just something worth noting that I don't think has been mentioned yet...or if it has I just missed it....the more gear you purchase at once, the better pricing the dive shop is going to give you on it. Plenty of "package" deals out there that won't break the bank to get you started. Just as an example.....
Oceanic Diver Package - BC and Reg Packages - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

Not terrible for the price

I was thinking that really the best thing I could buy to start out would be my own dive computer. That way I could get comfortable with it and have access to go back and see details of my dives after the fact, other than just relying on manually logging them after each dive.

Is that a good place to start? Is there even any value in buying my own equipment at this point, or should I wait until I can get a full kit?

It depends on how often you're going to make dives that are deep enough that you might hit your NDL. In the Keys, the best dives are shallow, and NDL only becomes a factor on wreck dives, notably the Vandenberg and the Spiegel Grove. If you're not going to reach your NDL, a dive computer doesn't matter much. They are useful for measuring depth and time but there are other ways to do that.

My recommendation would be to start with an inexpensive wetsuit once the ocean is cold enough that you want to use one. Then buy the BC and regs together once you're ready. Get the computer when you think you might start doing dives beyond 60 feet or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom