Divemaster Barbie Wins 2019 Stingray Best Watersports Employee of the Year Award

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Our favorite Divemaster, Barbara MacDowell from Reef Divers at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort was honored as the "2019 Best Watersports Employee of the Year" by the Cayman Islands Tourism Association.

Congratulations Barbie, you're the best - and you look so pretty in that dress, but I still miss seeing you in your psychedelic, tie-dye pink sea skin!

Here's info about the nominees and winners:
Celebrating the Magic of Tourism at the Stingray Awards

Barbie.jpg

Barbie2.jpg

Awesome- I hope I get to dive with her later this year!

Congrats Barbie!! Well deserved!!!

Awesome- I hope I get to dive with her later this year!

I hope so too but we have never had a bad dive master at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort.

Barb is sweet and funny but she is also very competent and hard-working. Originally she is from Canada but she has lived on the Brac with her husband and lovely daughter for many years, sje introduced us to them when we bumped into her out and about one day. She has worked in the Brac dive industry forever, first at Divi Tiara and later at Cayman Brac Beach Resort.

She was the dive guide during the incident when our mooring line broke during a dive. She gathered the group together on the surface and made sure she had everybody. She instructed us to swim as a group to the next mooring where she was confident that the boat would be waiting for us (and it was there as promised).

The sea was rough that day but she remained calm and cheerful and everyone followed her lead. She kept everybody together and made sure we were all okay. When we made it back to the boat she instructed us to line-up along the rope that had been deployed and then she immediately began working hard with her colleague to get everybody back on board safely. The boat retrieved the mooring ball and line for later re-installation by the authorities. I am sure this type of thing happens periodically but I thought that she handled it all very professionally.

I remember last year at CBBR when my husband and I were sitting on the beach watching the sunset and enjoying a beverage, I glanced over and saw Barb on her hands and knees scrubbing out the rinse tanks after a long day of diving. I am sure that she was just taking her turn at the job but I remember thinking - that's a hard-working lady doing a hard job!

Remember to always be generous to your dive staff at tip time!

I hope so too but we have never had a bad dive master at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort.

Barb is sweet and funny but she is also very competent and hard-working. Originally she is from Canada but she has lived on Brac with her husband and daughter for many years and has worked in the Brac dive industry forever, first at Divi Tiara and later at Cayman Brac Beach Resort.

She was the dive guide during the incident when our mooring line broke during a dive. She gathered the group together on the surface and made sure she had everybody. She instructed us to swim as a group to the next mooring where she was confident that the boat would be waiting for us. The sea was rough that day but she remained calm and cheerful and everyone followed her lead. She kept everybody together and made sure we were all okay. When we made it back to the boat she instructed us to line-up along the rope that had been deployed and then she immediately began working hard with her colleague to get everybody back on board safely. Next the boat went out and found the mooring ball and line and retrieved them for later re-installation by the authorities. I am sure this type of thing happens periodically but I thought that she handled it all very professionally.

I remember last year at CBBR when my husband and I were sitting on the beach watching the sunset, I glanced over and saw Barb on her hands and knees scrubbing out the rinse tanks after a long day of diving. I am sure that she was just taking her turn at the job but I remember thinking - that's a hard-working lady doing a hard job!

Remember to always be generous to your dive staff at tip time!
I'll be at CBBR for the first time in November - will look her up and congratulate her!

My wife and I dive often at “The Brac”. Barbie is an excellent dive master. She is also a very nice person. And the award is well deserved. I am glad that she received it. She has been a stalwart at the resort for years. She has been able to adjust to changes in management and dive masters. And she is indefatigably cheerful. If she is having a bad day, you will not see it. Reference KathyV’s post above about Barbie, it is better than mine.

If you go there and do not get assigned to Barbie’s boat, don’t be disappointed. Dive masters on the Brac all meet very high standards.

I agree with PatW, I was there last week and dived with Nick, Steve and Tom, all of whom were outstanding.

BTW, Congrats to Barbie as well.

I agree with PatW, I was there last week and dived with Nick, Steve and Tom, all of whom were outstanding.

BTW, Congrats to Barbie as well.

I don't think that you have been to CBBR for awhile, or at least since they did the renovations a few years ago, correct? How did you like it and how was your trip?

I will do a detailed trip report later but in short, the new pool and bar are absolutely magnificent. The dining room was downsized to allow for the steakhouse but still adequate. The rooms, lobby, etc are quite nice.
The diving op was first rate as expected and the boats were not crowded. Maybe 12-14 divers per boat.
Highlight of the week was the run out to the bluff and the wall dive near there.

I will do a detailed trip report later but in short, the new pool and bar are absolutely magnificent. The dining room was downsized to allow for the steakhouse but still adequate. The rooms, lobby, etc are quite nice.
The diving op was first rate as expected and the boats were not crowded. Maybe 12-14 divers per boat.
Highlight of the week was the run out to the bluff and the wall dive near there.

Sounds like a great trip, I look forward to reading your report!

Back
Top Bottom