Intact Sailing Canal Boat in Lake Champlain (125ft/38m)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I wanted to share the video from last Friday's dive in Lake Champlain. This wreck is a fantastically preserved example of a sailing canal boat. She is fully intact, cargo of coal still present, mast and tabernacle still on wreck, anchors still stowed on the bow and intact wheel and cabin on the stern. There are numerous dead eyes and block pulleys scattered on the deck. She sits in approximately 125ffw in Lake Champlain.

Looks great
Is there anyone running a charter to it?

Bill

Looks great
Is there anyone running a charter to it?

Bill

Unfortunately right now the wreck is not open to public. It was located independently by a private research vessel. The Lake Champlain Maritime Museum (LCMM) also has it in their wreck database and has studied it but I believe they are still assessing / documenting it.

I think at some point they're exploring options to open more of these wrecks to public but it's a slippery slope. They are concerned about impact and damage to wreck, artifacts getting stolen. It would be a really nice wreck for them to put in the Lake Champlain wreck preserve.

Nice. What was the water temp at depth?

Nice. What was the water temp at depth?

The water temperature at depth was 42-43f (~5.5c). The thermocline is pretty awesome right now it's ~70 (21c) degrees at 20ft (6m)

Beautiful ! A true ghost ship !

Back
Top Bottom