Looking for input on 2nd stage + octo to pair with MK17 for ~45F water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dive in the Pacific Northwest where the water temperature can get into the low 40s. I am leaning towards a Scubapro MK17 Evo first stage, but I am suffering analysis paralysis on the second stages. I need to pick a primary (S600? G260??) and then something else which can be cheaper and less performant for a backup. Cost is not my first concern, but I also can't say price is no object.

If it matters, I do use a long hose setup with the backup under my chin, and I will take the setup to the tropics once in a while--no plans to maintain a second set of vacation gear. I'm used to the funny looks I got with my old Dive Rite cold water gear on cattle boats. :wink:

I dive air normally and nitrox on vacation. Typical recreational stuff, nothing exciting.

I guess I don't have to stick with Scubapro for everything, but after chatting with my tech it certainly sounds like a safe bet. Open to any ideas you may have.

if you previously used dive rite, why not consider dive rite, deep 6, or hog? you get more value so you can get matching 2nds

I am a huge fan of the G250 and variants, and do not own a G260 (don't see a reason to "upgrade"). I also own a S600. Both on MK-17 firsts.

To me, the larger diaphragm (G250) makes it a better breather. I am a Great Lakes cold water diver, and would only dive a metal barrel second. My s600 is actually an S555 upgraded to an S600 with a metal air barrel.

ScubaPro is both good (good performance, universally available) and bad (parts, polices, cost), and you accept that with owning them.

I own a ton of ScubaPro, but also Poseidon, HOG, Deep6, DiveRite, Argonaut, USD, Voit, Apeks, Oceanic, ......

There are a bunch of good regs out there.....

It all depends on what works for you (service being a part of the equation).

While I am happy with my current Dive Rite setup, I can no longer get Dive Rite serviced locally. I would have to mail my regs away, and the remote service shops cost more than the locals, plus the shipping delay and expense.

Keeping my Dive Rites is an option but since they are due for service now, this is the time to consider a switch for easier service down the road. So, I want to figure out a good alternative and the total costs so I can make a final decision.

My regulator tech was not a big HOG fan, which steered me away from them. And I don't know Deep 6, I'll look in to them though.

Thanks Bob, food for thought.

The G260 is a 250 variant, right? They don't even seem to sell the 250 any more.

Yes, the G260 is the replacement to the G250v....

Do your own service, it’s really not difficult.

MK17 is an excellent regulator, g250’s are excellent but haven’t used a g260.

I’m diving Zeagle most of the time.

Once you start doing your own service there aren’t really any limit to excellent performance and you won’t be tied to the whims and business decisions of your local shop.

I have a lot of hobbies which are loaded with fiddly procedures and special tools. In this one thing, I just want to throw some money at it and be done. I barely find time to dive, if I have to learn to service my own gear too that is another speed bump between me and the water.

Normally I am happy to make things more complicated--not in this.

I have a lot of hobbies which are loaded with fiddly procedures and special tools. In this one thing, I just want to throw some money at it and be done. I barely find time to dive, if I have to learn to service my own gear too that is another speed bump between me and the water.

Normally I am happy to make things more complicated--not in this.
Maybe renting is the answer or if you’re hanging up the diverites just take them apart, I think you’ll be shocked at how simple they are. With the 17 pair it with a 260 and one of your DR’s.

I'm not interested in rentals, that is a different set of problems that I don't want either.

If I am switching from Dive Rite, keeping one of them as a backup reg isn't gonna happen - I can't get them serviced locally, and I am not going to service them myself. That is why I am trying to figure out a new package from a manufacturer that is supported in my area.

If I do that, the Dive Rites are gonna get sold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom