Halcyon BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mer:
The OMS wings don't seem all that bad... but once you replace the WAY long inflator hose and deal with having to cut off the ball from the pull dump, you might as well purchase the Halcyon wing that was designed with DIR in mind.

Sometimes Halcyon set is not available (this is the case for Israel, there is no official importer), and the asipring DIRist should look for alternatives.

P.S. Halcyons Do present in Israel via private import.

P.P.S. Haven't dived the Eclipse yet, since I am now practicing with doubles.
Explorer is a real nice wing , though, 40lbs is perfect for twin AL80ies and a 2-piece wetsuit.

I use it with a 36 lb. wing for singles and a 55 lb. wing for doubles. Love it.

Soggy:
Yeah, but it's still a horseshoe design, which sucks for a single tank wing.

Two questions..

Why does it suck?

Have you tried it?

jonnythan:
Two questions..

Why does it suck?

Have you tried it?

No, I haven't tried a single horsehoe wing, but I have a horseshoe doubles wing, and that sucks. Unfortunately, there is no real way around that, though. :)

Basically, there is no reason for it and it requires more contortions to get rid of the air in the wing vs a donut shaped wing where the gas flows freely at the top and the bottom.

Soggy:
No, I haven't tried a single horsehoe wing, but I have a horseshoe doubles wing, and that sucks. Unfortunately, there is no real way around that, though. :)

Basically, there is no reason for it and it requires more contortions to get rid of the air in the wing vs a donut shaped wing where the gas flows freely at the top and the bottom.

From what I've seen on the Web, an OMS single 32 lbs wing is a donut-shaped wing,
and not a horseshoe one.

Basically, as far as I know, all doubles wings are horeshoe wings.

PentiumIV:
From what I've seen on the Web, an OMS single 32 lbs wing is a donut-shaped wing,
and not a horseshoe one.

http://omsdive.com/buoyancy.html#TOP

Look at the bottom of the wing. It's a horsehoe.

Basically, as far as I know, all doubles wings are horeshoe wings.

Yes, they are, which is why I said there is nothing I can do about it. :) A donut wing just wouldn't work with doubles.

Soggy:

I would hesitate to disregard the effectiveness of a singles wing based strictly on whether it's a horseshoe or donut shape without first diving it. What I've found more important for a singles wing is its footprint (i.e. length and width), which is what effects trim and balance.

The ease of venting will be determined by the placement of the inflator hose and rear dump valve.

Personally, I prefer a donut-shaped wing, but without actually diving a wing it's difficult to determine its performance. I believe there are worlds of difference between how a horse-shoe shaped singles wing would perform vs. a doubles wing.

And FWIW - even with a donut-shape some contortion is required, because the air will still migrate to the highest point of the wing ... and you will still need to do some "contorting" to get the air to the rear dump area.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
And FWIW - even with a donut-shape some contortion is required, because the air will still migrate to the highest point of the wing ... and you will still need to do some "contorting" to get the air to the rear dump area.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nah, a little roll to the side gets the air wherever I want it. With a horseshoe wing, it requires breaking trim, rolling to the side, then going slightly heads down. A donut wing just requires a whole lot less defined motion since the air can migrate from either end.

You're right. I haven't tried this particular wing, but based on my experience with doubles wings (and based on the rest of OMS' line of gear and philosophy), I'm happy to leave it that way. :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom