What order to buy gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think hat the answer is different for everyone...
I had my wesuit early on.
My BCD was one of my first purchases, since I got tired of not being able to rent one at my LDS if they were all out for OW training weekends, etc. Anything "sized" would be a priority for me if your size might be in short rental supply.
My LDS has computers on all of their rental reg sets now, so that would be less of a priority for me now.It would still be high-ish priority for purchase though, just because you cannot depend on them being on rental sets while travelling, etc.

Your own gear, whether new or 2nd hand is preferable over the rentals. Period. The order in which you purchase each piece is personal. My first piece of gear was as a 3mm full length wet suit. I was tired of wearing awful suits during my certification. Over the past 3 years I've bought all the dive gear necessary for a safe dive except the tank. I'm done for now but it is awfully addicting. :stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

First, buy all the gear your LDS tries to sell you. Then dive it for a while.

Next buy what your experience tells you that you really need.

Finally, get rid of all the gear you previously purchased and simplify your gear. Purchase the new pared down kit.

For a bonus start buying vintage gear and duplicates of what you already have.

Here's what I did and why; take it for what it's worth.

I bought personal gear (mask, fins, snorkel, booties) right before my OW class because it was required, and it wasn't a part of the gear rental package. I also bought a whistle and mirror on a lanyard, since we were supposed to have an audible and visual signaling device, and these were small and cheap. In retrospect, they didn't check to see if we had them, the whistle was kinda garbage, and the mirror is not a good alternative to a safety sausage. I now have a Storm Whistle and a DSMB and reel instead.

A couple weeks after completing OW, I decided to buy a computer. I wanted my own so I'd be familiar with it, so I could download my dive profiles, and so I could have a wrist instead of console mount. Also, I was hesitant to buy a lot of bulky, expensive dive gear when I wasn't so sure what kind of diver I was going to be; I started out thinking I'd only dive occasionally on vacation and would just rent everything when I got there. But even then, a basic computer was only $200 and very small, so it still made sense to own vs. rent. I bought the Cressi Leonardo, which is OK. I ordered it online; I think if I'd had the chance to try on a couple models in the store I would have picked something smaller. I cut the excess length off the strap, but I think a bungee mount would've been even better. The ascent alarm is also annoyingly sensitive, but other than that it's working out fine. I still think buying the computer next was the right order of operations for me. I did AOW and Nitrox shortly thereafter, and it was nice being familiar with the face so I could easily keep an eye on my depth and remaining NDL.

My next purchases were a wetsuit and a compass several months later, after lots of rentals. Some friends of mine bought their wetsuits right away because they didn't want to wear one someone else had peed in, but it didn't really bother me. I wanted to try lots of brands before committing. Ultimately the suit I bought was a make and model I'd never used, but I knew enough by then about how a properly-fitting wetsuit felt putting it on dry, and about how much stretch the average suit had, to know this was a good one. I also learned from my computer experience and bought a compass with a bungee wrist mount.

I bought a backplate and wing after trying it out with a couple rentals. Not many shops rent them, but my LDS does, and I really liked how it felt. I did some research but ended up just buying the Halcyon, the same model I'd been renting, because I liked it, and while many said it wasn't worth the extra money, nobody who had one seemed to complain about it.

I bought the reg next, when I took GUE Fundamentals Part I. Again, I did some research, but ended up kinda just going with what was handy. I bought it from my instructor, who offered to order my choice but had some Atomic Z2s on hand. I'd had that on my short list anyway; the ones he had were in colors that matched the rest of my gear, and he set it up with the long hose and bolt snap on the primary and bungeed necklace for the second. I'm not 100% decided whether I'm going to take Part II and continue with GUE, but I'm glad I had a chance to learn about my options because I really like this equipment setup.

I thought about just renting tanks and weights forever, but decided I wanted the flexibility of always having everything ready to go diving anytime. (Clearly my original idea of just being a casual vacation diver did not pan out; I've been diving locally at least a couple times a month since I got certified.) I also really like my 100cf tank; I've got my weight dialed in and I always have plenty of air.

Overall I'm really happy with my choices of what I bought and when. Feel free to ignore anything that doesn't resonate.

While my wife and I ended up buying all of our own gear after certification, I think if I couldn’t go this route I would start with wetsuit. I have seen what the rentals look and smell like when they come back to the shop. The shop we use has decent gear. All rental regulators have i300 computers.

For hygenic point of view, I though regulator was first b4 wetsuit since ur sharing mouth piece with random ppl who might be sick

One of my very first purchases out of OW was the Halcyon Eclipse BP/W which I'm still using. OTOH, I went through several iterations of regulators and computers over the last 13 years. Computers have increased in power substantially, from the rec computers of the day to the modern Shearwaters and their equivalents. The biggest problem with my early regulator purchases was that they routed poorly for doubles and sidemount set-ups. They all delivered enough gas to breath.

1. Wrist computer
2. Dive light, SMB, gloves , cutting device
3. Wetsuit
4. Regs
5. BCD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom