Tips and Tricks for all divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you take off a single piece harness after a dive

You can remove it by pulling outwards on two objects attached on the chest d rings to get out.

It works for example if you clip a long hose reg on the right chest d-ring and a torch on the left one.

When you take off a single piece harness after a dive

You can remove it by pulling outwards on two objects attached on the chest d rings to get out.

It works for example if you clip a long hose reg on the right chest d-ring and a torch on the left one.
IME, if the shoulder straps are properly adjusted it's no problem to just "chicken wing" out of the first one. The second one is as easy as 1-2-3 anyway.

And I don't have to slip my backup light out of the rubber bands that hold it against the webbing and keep it from dangling.

Did anyone mention that before rolling, look at your SPG guage and take a couple of fast breaths off of your reg. Does the needle move? If so, your tank isn't open. You don't want to go in like that. :wink:

Keep in mind that this only tells you the valve is not shut, a partially opened valve will pass the test but may give problems later.

Some people (me, for example) believe the use of a fastener with the sort of spring-loaded gate that deflects inward is hazardous. This includes 'biners, unless they are safety carabiners with a threaded collar that locks the gate, and snaps other than bolt snaps. The reason is that running to line can operate the gate and the line can become trapped inside the fastener, causing entanglement. (I know someone who even files the tab on the bolt snaps so fishing line won't snag on it on the outside.)

A corollary to this is that in surge or wave action the carabiner can unclip itself from a line. That's the main reason I took them out of service, I was lucky and and there was no loss or damage involved.

Bob

"Chicken wing"-ing with my rotator/elbow issues do not mix well, so I pull the D rings apart like Superman!

I have heard that many times on Scubaboard. There is an argument to be made with the teardrop shaped brass clips due to their sharp. The carabiners on the other hand do not have the same issues in my opinion again due to their sharp. What is more concerning to me is that a lot of divers no longer carry knives to cut themselves out of such a situation. Fishing line being the number one concern as it’s very hard to see that type of line in the water. Even people who do carry knives if not sharpened properly can have a problem with fishing line. Most people use a sharpening stone to get a razor sharp edge on their knives that is not very effective against fishing line. I us an 8” bastard file to sharpen my knives but this goes against the conventional wisdom. The file will create lots of burrs on the blade that the people using stones are working hard to avoid. The burrs create a microscopic saw blade along the edge of the blade that is perfect for cutting fishing line. In almost all the cases I have had I just needed to touch the knife to the line to cut through it. I know this sounds like the wrong way to sharpen a knife but for fishing line there’s nothing better. You don’t need a foot long shark killer knife for this, almost any size knife properly sharpened will work.

I sharpen my knives to hearly razor sharp, including the serrated part of the edge and the line cutter notch. The blade lasts indefinitely that way. With a file you are removing way too much metal on each sharpening.

"Chicken wing"-ing with my rotator/elbow issues do not mix well, so I pull the D rings apart like Superman!

My harness has a QR on the left shoulder. Makse doffing it a breeze - on deck or in the water.

I know, my next one will have one too!

Sorry, not following what you mean. Please explain.

I do agree with your other points (not quoted) that everyone should carry a cutting implement, especially offshore where 300# test PowerPro and similar lines are used that simply cannot be broken by a human, and that razor-sharp knives are not always best for cutting certain materials.

What I meant was that carabiners do not represent the same danger of line entanglement that the small brass clips are known for. Any line that gets inside a carabiner can be easily removed.

I sharpen my knives to hearly razor sharp, including the serrated part of the edge and the line cutter notch. The blade lasts indefinitely that way. With a file you are removing way too much metal on each sharpening.

I am not concerned with removing a little extra metal if that gets me a much more effective edge for cutting fishing line. I am for the most part using inexpensive folding knives that clip to my harness for most dives. These are not dive knives, just something I can drill a hole in the handle and use a shackle to attach a clip to.

I am not concerned with removing a little extra metal if that gets me a much more effective edge for cutting fishing line. I am for the most part using inexpensive folding knives that clip to my harness for most dives. These are not dive knives, just something I can drill a hole in the handle and use a shackle to attach a clip to.

A jagged edge knife is a poor idea - as opposed to a serrated blade. Poorly sharpened knives are far more dangerous and cause more accidents than a properly sharpened razor sharp knife. I have never found anything that my properly sharpened knife won't cut. Even braided fused heavy test fishing line parts at a touch. Heavy mil tarps used in milfoil remediation slit with ease. Nylon, poly, and other types of rope part with little effort. A poorly sharpened knife is an accident waiting to happen.

I once knew a guy that sharpened his kitchen knives on a cement step because "that's the way the indians used to do it". Technology has far surpassed that method.

IME, if the shoulder straps are properly adjusted it's no problem to just "chicken wing" out of the first one. The second one is as easy as 1-2-3 anyway.
And I don't have to slip my backup light out of the rubber bands that hold it against the webbing and keep it from dangling.
I find it easier than chicken wing, the backup light stays in the rubber band when I do this.

Maybe my harness is a bit too tight.

Back
Top Bottom