Lowest profile single tank wings (with built in STA)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tiburonarizona. I am 5’2 and dive the VDH 18 with al 80’s and 63’s. Its all the wing you will need for aluminum tanks/tropical diving and packs easily.

Here’s a photo of me with a 63 tank and the VDH wing...

View attachment 533383

Is there a diver in that picture? I can't see you. :wink: :wink: :wink: LOL

@Zef - I agree with you that the difference between diving, just for example, a VDH 18 and 35 is so small that maybe nobody could actually tell a difference in a blind comparison. Maybe. Even if could tell a difference, it would be SMALL. Thus my last sentence in my previous post. A person with only a VDH 35 for single tank use would (I expect) love it and never experience any feeling, in use, of "dang! I wish I had a smaller wing."

I have both, but there are 2 reasons for that. One, I am very fortunate right now to have been in a financial position to afford the 18 when I already had the 35. And, two, I am a bit, *ahem*, OCD(?) and the IDEA of having the smallest, lightest, most streamlined wing that is appropriate for a particular use case appeals to me. Appeals? Maybe I should say COMMANDS me. LOL It dives great! But, I also get some satisfaction just from looking at it and seeing how tiny it is. Maybe kind of dumb, but I don't regret purchasing the 18 one bit. It IS a total luxury, but I like it. It makes me happy. :D

Is there a diver in that picture? I can't see you. :wink: :wink: :wink: LOL

@Zef - I agree with you that the difference between diving, just for example, a VDH 18 and 35 is so small that maybe nobody could actually tell a difference in a blind comparison. Maybe. Even if could tell a difference, it would be SMALL. Thus my last sentence in my previous post. A person with only a VDH 35 for single tank use would (I expect) love it and never experience any feeling, in use, of "dang! I wish I had a smaller wing."

I have both, but there are 2 reasons for that. One, I am very fortunate right now to have been in a financial position to afford the 18 when I already had the 35. And, two, I am a bit, *ahem*, OCD(?) and the IDEA of having the smallest, lightest, most streamlined wing that is appropriate for a particular use case appeals to me. Appeals? Maybe I should say COMMANDS me. LOL It dives great! But, I also get some satisfaction just from looking at it and seeing how tiny it is. Maybe kind of dumb, but I don't regret purchasing the 18 one bit. It IS a total luxury, but I like it. It makes me happy. :D

I get it...your reasons are legit, just not practical...and that is ok. I don't get the sense that others have put as much thought into it as you...I think for the most part people are chasing a perceived benefit that does not actually exist. It seems like small single tank wings single are the current fad.

-Z

What is the perceived benefit? For me, it is the feeling of basically having nothing there at all. It is really enjoyable. That 18# wing also packs for travel much easier that the 30# wings my wife and daughter have (they just have a single multi-use rig). Looking at the pictures of my warm water diving, that 18# wing is basically empty. Why then have a 30#? I'm required by the dive op to have a wing, so this meets the need.

I don't get the sense that others have put as much thought into it as you...I think for the most part people are chasing a perceived benefit that does not actually exist. It seems like small single tank wings single are the current fad.

Oh-kay, so if all you do is tropical diving with Al100 or smaller, why would you want to buy a bigger wing? What would be the benefit here?

The wing I ended up with was good deal less than the then available #18s (Oxy and Apeks). That was the benefit. Now the difference between VDH #18 and DGX #30 is whooping 40 bucks, I'd very likely have gone with the former if I were buying today.

What tanks do you dive? The 30# Oxy is long, and can be an issue with an hp80. Same for the VDH. Maybe the 23? 18?

I dove a Japanese 10L steel tank that is pretty similar to a HP80, it barely fit between my cam bands, but otherwise I had no issues diving it on my VDH 35# wing.

I dove a Japanese 10L steel tank that is pretty similar to a HP80, it barely fit between my cam bands, but otherwise I had no issues diving it on my VDH 35# wing.

the amount of wing below the tank will likely end up with a pinch flat if you aren't very cautious in a boat seat/tank rack....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom