Where to stay and Dive in Philippines, with reluctant diver husband - advice needed please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Galleon can arrange all of your transportation from Manila Airport (NAIA) all the way to their resort via their private boat. Very reasonable rates on transportation, Amazing dive op/DMs, great food, nice property. Very recommended for a stress free trip.

If the timing of your arrival into Cebu works, you can fly to Dumaguete in under 50 minutes, for short money, on Cebu Pacific. Dauin is not far out of the airport, and once past Dumaguete you will get a flavor of the provinces. There are many resorts to choose from, at many price points. Apo Island is a short dive boat ride away, and is a great quality introduction to diving in Philippines. Bonus: it's not a zoo. As long as you are this far out I'd at least take a look.

To sum up, you do want to treat your husband to superior dive spots in the short time you have, so Mactan just won’t cut it. Maybe Luko can chime in on what might still be worth trying in Moalboal.
But your best bet, if flying in to Cebu, is the transfer to Dauin as xrcjdx explains.
Your best bet, if flying in to Manila, is the transfer to Puerto Galera. Asia Divers may have their new Mindoro Sprinter making the crossing by then.

Right.
You say you're coming from Singapore and longing for 5 days diving in November.
I noticed your dive credits don't mention Indonesia : I just wonder why you don't go to Bali instead of the Phils. Less transport time and transfer hassle from/to KL or Singapore, better season, better diving, so I think.
In 5 days Padang Bai you'll get manta rays, some chances for Molamola still in season, good corals sites, you may also dive the Liberty wreck asking the dive centre to go.

FT:
To sum up, you do want to treat your husband to superior dive spots in the short time you have, so Mactan just won’t cut it. Maybe Luko can chime in on what might still be worth trying in Moalboal.
But your best bet, if flying in to Cebu, is the transfer to Dauin as xrcjdx explains.
Your best bet, if flying in to Manila, is the transfer to Puerto Galera. Asia Divers may have their new Mindoro Sprinter making the crossing by then.

That's spot on. Not asking for too much ha!
We will be flying in from Kl and then onto Singapore, so PG not for this time I don't think.
Welcome to SB.

One thing to keep in mind, depending on where you go, are the efficiency of your connections. e.g. flying into Manila T2 with PAL and flying out domestically from T2 with PAL was about a 40min transition for me vs. 3-4 hours if a different Terminal. So a cheap fight might be some torture if connecting to a different terminal / airline. IDK re Cebu.

I've asked the Mods to move this to Philippine Paradise section to gain some traction.

My Philippine's experience is limited so far to wrecks/planes (Subic, Coron), Anilao for fun (I'm not into macro too much but some of the sites there are too lovely), and then LOB to Tubbataha for the best of the best ... I don't have an answer for you ...

So in short you're after reasonably priced basic accommodation/diving that isn't mob swamped, non-macro pelagic or walls that are easy to get to?

Yes, thats the sum of it, but be won't heading anywhere near Manila, but coming from KL then onto Singapore.

I completely agree with Luko.

Right.
You say you're coming from Singapore and longing for 5 days diving in November.
I noticed your dive credits don't mention Indonesia : I just wonder why you don't go to Bali instead of the Phils. Less transport time and transfer hassle from/to KL or Singapore, better season, better diving, so I think.
In 5 days Padang Bai you'll get manta rays, some chances for Molamola still in season, good corals sites, you may also dive the Liberty wreck asking the dive centre to go.
Hi Luko,
I digested all that and started looking in depth at Indonesia more specifically Bali, Pedang Bai.
My concern was about the weather as unsure if the season is better there or Philippines. I suppose coming from the UK I'd like the best weather we can find and not have the risk of too many rainy downpours seeing as we'll be sightseeing as well as diving.
I find the weather reports saying increasing rain by mid November just when we'd be hoping to reach Bali.
Is the weather more settled in cebu??

If you're looking to see the sights that's another argument for Bali. It's much easier to combine sightseeing with diving. From Padang Bai it's less than an hour to Sidemen or the temples Tirtagangga and Besakih. Maybe 1 1/2 hours to Ubud. Weather may be a gamble but I spent 18 days there in mid-late October ('17) and there was serious rain once, all day, but I was in Sidemen and it made for a great chill out day. Great diving. Macro at Padang Bai, sharks at Mimpang/Tepekong, mantas, eagle rays, and molas around Penida.

I agree with @Luko have a look at Bali.

While Asia Divers are a great operator (I've used them x3) the weather in November is unpredictable and while I've been lucky personally, I wouldn't really want to make that crossing between Batangas and PG in a Banka when it's rough.

I agree with @Luko have a look at Bali.

While Asia Divers are a great operator (I've used them x3) the weather in November is unpredictable and while I've been lucky personally, I wouldn't really want to make that crossing between Batangas and PG in a Banka when it's rough.
Think Bali is my favourite choice, just wanted a little reassurance about the weather, although know there are no guarantees where the weather is concerned,just trying for the best options we can . The Hubby wont be keen doing risky rough crossings in a Banka, I'd have to sedate him :wink:..he's a worrier.:rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom