How do locals dive in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Cool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have searched and Googled my query below but I could not find the answer. I am hoping someone here in this forum will have some input on it.

I am curious to find out how locals (Mexicans and expats) dive in Playa del Carmen or the Riviera Maya area. I have doubts that they pay tourist diver rates (around USD$45 to USD$55 per tank) for every dive they make. Is there such a thing as a local rate for local Mexican or expat resident diver? Or, are there local Mexican dive groups that a local expat can join for socializing and immersing in local life and, at the same time, enjoying the sport at an affordable cost.

I have searched and Googled my query below but I could not find the answer. I am hoping someone here in this forum will have some input on it.

I am curious to find out how locals (Mexicans and expats) dive in Playa del Carmen or the Riviera Maya area. I have doubts that they pay tourist diver rates (around USD$45 to USD$55 per tank) for every dive they make. Is there such a thing as a local rate for local Mexican or expat resident diver? Or, are there local Mexican dive groups that a local expat can join for socializing and immersing in local life and, at the same time, enjoying the sport at an affordable cost.
:popcorn:

i don't think you will find a local dive group so to speak. the only divers that live in the area probably wok for a dive operation.

if you live in the area i would think you would want to develop a relationship with your favorite dive op and work out a deal. i am sure if you were a regular, they would offer you a substantial discount on diving. especially in the off season and they have boats going out with extra room for you. if it is busy season and the boats are full everyday, then maybe not so much.

Or open up your own shop :wink:

i don't think you will find a local dive group so to speak. the only divers that live in the area probably wok for a dive operation.

if you live in the area i would think you would want to develop a relationship with your favorite dive op and work out a deal. i am sure if you were a regular, they would offer you a substantial discount on diving. especially in the off season and they have boats going out with extra room for you. if it is busy season and the boats are full everyday, then maybe not so much.

My thought is the same. Most local divers will probably end up working for a dive shop. I am actually considering to pursue my DM and DI certifications but I am still on the fence whether I will still be energetic by the time my wife and I make the move to PDC. I do want to do volunteer work that involve diving so that may be my way of 'hitting two birds with one stone'. There's several coral and marine conservation groups in Akumal and Tulum that are looking for volunteers to help them out.

Or open up your own shop :wink:

I love to! But, PDC and the surrounding towns are choc-ful of dive shops already. it is a very competitive market. Very difficult IMO. I do want to explore the idea of owning a liveaboard yacht that will do trips between PDC - Coz - Chinchorro Banks.

Interesting question, as I am considering retiring in the area.

Me, too! Hopefully within the next three years while we are still young and my knees are still in good working order. :D

No, locals do not work with a dive shop. There is a fill station in the jungle to the west between puerto adventurous and Akumal. They will run a tab for you but the cylinders run less than $10 a fill. I don’t have the address but EVERYONE gets their fills there.

Btw almost every dive shop uses them. So, not just locals.

No, locals do not work with a dive shop. There is a fill station in the jungle to the west between puerto adventurous and Akumal. They will run a tab for you but the cylinders run less than $10 a fill. I don’t have the address but EVERYONE gets their fills there.

A few years ago there was a fill shop right in Playa. I got some fills there but couldn't find it now.

Great, you've got a tank full of air, now where do you dive? I suppose one could find cenotes if you have cave/cavern cert but what about ocean dives? Are there feasible shore dives that the local dive shop industry keeps well hidden from tourists?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom