Still Learning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
After many, many years of snorkeling from Cruise’s or other vacations, my husband & I decided that we wanted more (other than snorkeling), to the under water world. It’s always been on our “bucket list”, but never took any classes. Well...here we are in our late 50’s & thought...if we don’t do this now, we’re going to be too old! My husband is taking a fast tracked class because of his work schedule but since I don’t work, & my brain doesn’t process as quick as his, I’m taking the three week course. Yes...it’s challenging but with our instructor, I’m hoping that I can pass this class! We were rained out of our pool time this past week so we all went back to the dive shop for our next study chapter. The older we get, we (meaning ME), don’t retain information as I once did. I’m trying to stay “focused” on the safety part of this & less worried about “what will I do or see when (if), I (we) actually get to dive! But I’m going to continue to TRY hard! After all, we are going to The Great Barrier Reef in September (for our 30 Anniversary). Yes...I would love to learn to dive so I can swim deeper, but if snorkeling is the only thing I’m able to do, then this won’t ruin our trip! But I can assure everyone, that if I don’t pass, “I will” come back home & try again! I absolutely love the underwater life & I will try & try again. But let’s hope for the best! We are using a GREAT dive shop & our instructor is GREAT & very patience with an “old fart” like myself!!

We are using Dean’s Dive Shop in Fort Myers, FL, which is an extremely long drive for us, but after talking to others in FL (from Key Largo, Miami & even in Clearwater Beach), it’s worth the long drive a few times a week! And...I’d (we) would like to note...do NOT skimp on cost for any part of scuba diving!! That includes training, gear or even location! Wish ME luck! Well...it’s not really luck I need, it’s more like my memory! Wish my brain good knowledge! And wish my instructor a lot of patience.

Hang in there, you'll get it. It does seem like there is a lot to learn in a short period of time, but it's really not all that complicated. My wife and I were both on our late 50s when we got certified, me in 2014 and she the next year. We both now have well over 100 logged dives (I'll top 200 before the end of September. We've had loads of fun diving and met a lot of great people.

So relax and read your materials. The classroom work is important, but it is the in water training where you will develop more as a diver. You'll be fine. The adventure that awaits you is worth the process of certification.

Do not convince yourself ahead of time that this is too much. My wife dreaded every single test and she has passed every single one, first time. AND instructors (well, any worth their salt) are going to talk with you and review/instruct any questions you missed. They want you to understand all of it. Not just the 87% you got right. Be confident. Be diligent. Be attentive. I suspect that the rest will work itself out.

You're already doing so many things right. You know your weaknesses; you researched instructors; you're focused on safety; you're willing to put in the time and money to do it right; you're taking the long view. I picked a shop with a Groupon that offered classes just in time for my vacation. You're gonna do great.

You've already demonstrated that you're comitted to learning, comfortable in water and have a passion for the marine environment. Right there are three attributes in a student any instructor would be delighted to work with!

Have a great time, enjoy the process and don't forget to tell us how you're getting on.

and remember the bad buddy diver from birmingham al

It can seem overwhelming but you are clearly on the right track. Have a little more faith in yourself! The course is designed for you to be successful and your instructor will want you to be successful so the deck is stacked in your favour. It is good you are taking things seriously but your snorkeling experience will stand you in good stead.

Let us know how you go and welcome to ScubaBoard. You will find a wealth of knowledge and support here.:happywave:

My thoughts are that you are already doing so much more than most people in researching the instructors etc so you are definitely on the right track.

When going through the reading materials and knowledge tests, do it a bit at a time to make sure that you understand contents of each section.

When it comes to the pool bit, I wouldn't worry too much. It is all done in small chunks which build on each other. A good instructor will take work you through each of them bit by bit - you might well be surprised how quickly you get it.

I took my 72 year old mum for a discovery dive (which albeit doesn't cover a lot of the safety elements such as mask clear etc) but within 20-30 mins she was making great progress round the pool with all the gear on. Bearing in mind that she had last snorkelled about 30 years ago and has a few physical limitations (as is normal at that age) she did pretty well. Your course should work in a similar manner - get comfortable with the gear, then add the skills bit by bit until lo and behold you are a diver.

One thing that stuck with me from my instructor is that there is no race when it comes to completing the skills - concentrate on getting the skill right as opposed to getting it done quick. Speed will eventually come with practising the skill - better to have the skill correct and slow than to rush and miss bits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom