Dry gloves for the KVR1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW...SLT is just Aqualung's/Apeks' re-branding of Si-Tech's QCS cuff system. Waterproof rebranded it as ISS.

QCS = Quick Change Solution
SLT = Seal Lock Technology
ISS = Interchangeable Seal System/Solution

-Z

BTW...SLT is just Aqualung's/Apeks' re-branding of Si-Tech's QCS cuff system. Waterproof rebranded it as ISS.

QCS = Quick Change Solution
SLT = Seal Lock Technology
ISS = Interchangeable Seal System/Solution

-Z
And, that re-branding also contributes to the challenges of ordering replacement parts through Aqualung/Apeks. It takes a while to be sure that what you are ordering is what you want. :)

And, that re-branding also contributes to the challenges of ordering replacement parts through Aqualung/Apeks. It takes a while to be sure that what you are ordering is what you want. :)

I totally agree...I think it adds unnecessary complication without any redeeming value. It seems like it was a marketing decision that in the end just frustrates the customer.

-Z

I agree, it’s very confusing trying to figure out what glove system is compatible and what isn’t. Even on the suit manufacturer (Aqualung) website it’s not real clear what all you need to add dry gloves.

Marketing ploy to steer you into "there" brand and not the SiTech brand that could be bought elsewhere for less.

I agree, it’s very confusing trying to figure out what glove system is compatible and what isn’t. Even on the suit manufacturer (Aqualung) website it’s not real clear what all you need to add dry gloves.
YES!!! It was very frustrating trying to figure our what was what>

Marketing ploy to steer you into "there" brand and not the SiTech brand that could be bought elsewhere for less.

Not really entirely true...the cuff system, despite being called something different by Aqualung/Apeks and Waterproof is still Si-Tech it is just in the ad copy that they designate it as SLT or ISS instead of Si-Tech QCS. Aqualung/Apeks also have not marketed dryglove product for the cuff system. Waterproof purchased a design patent for a product that went out of business and improved it. The original patent product by Diving Concepts will interface with the Si-Tech oval system the same way the Waterproof product does. The Waterproof Ultima DGS retails in the US for around $179, the Si-Tech Virgo retails for around $185. The Si-Tech Antares system retails between $100-$150...I think this is selling for less than the others because it is not moving well due to design issues and resultant bad reviews. The only thing is really more expensive that I have seen are the silicone neck and wrist seals that Waterproof markets but Aqualung/Apeks have no products that they are pushing in addition to OEM options when purchasing a drysuit off the rack or made to order.

I don't think the name change is predatory....I believe it is ad copy, and the impact is confusion and hesitation for potential customers to spend their money because they are unsure what they should buy due to the confusion.

-Z

I just checked the Aqualung and Apeks website and they do list the Antares and Glove Lock systems...they don't seem to mention Si-Tech as the manufacturer in the ad copy but they have not changed the names of these products either. All the product info for the neck and wrist system that came with my Aqualing drysuit was from Si-Tech...I think it is just a case of an overly ambitious marketing department that is out of touch with reality causing confusion and frustration.

-Z

Yes, it is confusing in the Aqualung catalog, and it always has been, including back before Aqualung bought Whites. I think they just continue to do what Whites did before, without thinking too much about it. Inertia and low volume = low priority, not a calculated marketing ploy.

Reactions: Zef
Just a follow-up since I mentioned the si-tech virgo system in a previous post in this thread.

The Virgo dry glove system is a direct fit for the QCS oval wrist system, but like the Ultima DGS it renders the system round instead of oval as one replaces the hard plastic oval ring with a round ring to attach the wrist seal and serve as a docking/attachment point for the dryglove side of the system.

The Virgo is very bulky. Si-tech decided to put the lockring on the suit side of the system instead of the glove side. This means the diver has to contend with unnecessary bulk around their wrists when they elect to dive without drygloves in place.

Mounting gloves on the rings is much easier than the Waterproof Ultima DGS but that does not make up for the bulkier profile of the Virgo system.

Additionally, 4th element just recently released the Ellipse system they designed in conjunction with Si-tech and I believe maybe made for them by Si-Tech. This is low profile direct fit system for the QCS Oval cuff system that retains the lower profile nature of the oval cuff design and looks to be much less bulky than the other systems out there. I am thinking of buying a set to replace the Si-Tech Virgo system that came on my wife's drysuit. If I do, I will post a review.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom