Trying to compensate for feet down trim when wearing no exposure protection and little weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I think that other DIR agency in California makes some fins similar to Jets that are positive as well. For some reason the name escapes me just now...

Those would be the UTD Precision Neutral/Positive fins. I absolutely love them! :)

...That none of those you know with easy trim have no weight forward may be equipment dependent. Do they have heavy steel tanks or steel plates, possibly leaving them with no lead to move as they desire?

We have steel or AL backplates, and steel or AL tanks. Everyone wears weight where they want it. None choose to wear weight on the front of the body. With any back inflate, including a wing, you tend to want weight at the back, not front of the body.

With any back inflate, including a wing, you tend to want weight at the back, not front of the body.
I've dove a BP/W for a while. I have some, but not all, to the front. It lets me be stiller in the water. I can dive just fine with more in back, but my legs don't get to be as still.

If you choose one of those over the other, thats fine.

Hi, @caruso.

Assuming that the total weight amount is correct and if you've shifted all the weights and tank around as suggested, how you have your legs positioned and the type of kick you use may also help. Try bringing your shins and thighs to a 90 degree angle and use a frog kick if you are not already. Many people (not saying you do this specifically) tend to use a flutter/scissor kick when they swim and it can swing people into more of an upwards motion as their head is still trying to direct the rest of the body in a lateral motion than a true lateral motion generated by the kick which will also make them look and feel like their legs are a bit heavy. In addition, arch your back slightly, as if you're showing off your bootayyyyy. Tighten up your buttocks a bit as you are in that form. Do you have someone who can take a video or photograph you steady as well as moving in the water column? It sometimes helps to visually link what you feel to what you look like to achieve your goal and see/feel what the changes are in actuality.

The suggestion about using fins that are less negatively buoyant might also help but it won't be any help immediately as you are already there with what you have. Hopefully, this will help a tiny bit?

Not sure anyone has mentioned this, but you can also loosen up the harness and move the whole rig up (or down), to align your center of gravity with the tank. No trim weights required.

This is partially why I have four complete rigs. One for cave with a dry suit, one for ocean tech, and two for recreational. It’s near impossible to adjust one harness so it works for everything.

This is partially why I have four complete rigs. One for cave with a dry suit, one for ocean tech, and two for recreational. It’s near impossible to adjust one harness so it works for everything.

I think it's definitely possible, in fact that's one of the nice things about the BP/W setup is that it's infinitely adjustable. It's just a giant PITA to do on a regular basis :wink: (especially the crotch strap. God I hate adjusting crotch straps).

I have one rig that I adjust for warm water and for drysuit because I can't justify buying multiple rigs right now. But I don't switch back and forth that frequently so I make it work.

I started out trying to use one rig for everything. When I started cave, it took a dozen dives for me to get the cave rig just right, adjusting it fractions of an inch at a time. After all that effort, I sure wasn’t going to try to readjust every time I switched to some other type of diving. So I bought a rig specifically for cave. Glad I did and never looked back.

So, when people talk about readjusting their harness for different types of diving or using the same rig for all, I’ve been there, done that, and chose a different path.

That’s why I chuckle when people say, yeah but the harness is re-adjustable. It really isn’t. It’s tuneable, as in it can be fine tuned, but it’s not adjustable like a BC.

There are now these adjustable rigs. I almost bought the Halcyon one. But, I realized that I didn’t want to be able to adjust it. I want to fine tune it, lock it in, then forget about it.

Try bringing your shins and thighs to a 90 degree angle and use a frog kick if you are not already. Do you have someone who can take a video or photograph you steady as well as moving in the water column?

I almost always do a slow and controlled frog kick unless I need to get somewhere fast such as this afternoon to get a good shot of an Eagle Ray that was headed in my general direction at which point I did a max speed flutter kick to catch up with it.

I have found in the past few days that bending my legs at the knee makes a huge difference in maintaining horizontal trim with almost no fin movement at all.

My girlfriend can and has videotaped me but I don't find it all that helpful because there's really nothing I can look at and say "oh I can do that differently and achieve more horizontal trim", it's mostly a matter of balancing out my rig- with the exception bending the legs and as another poster suggested, swimming with empty lungs which I don't find makes a significant difference.

I carry a GoPro on a tray with two video lights which I guesstimate to be a couple of pounds negative and when I'm not holding it it's hanging from my shoulder D rings.

To those who are determined to make this about the benefits of a backplate and wing- no thanks I'm good with my rear inflate Seaquest BCD, thank you very much.

Buoyant fins are a possibility and maybe a Spare Air strapped to each ankle. Kidding!

I went with Deep6 fins. The deep6 have an oddly shaped foot pocket and it took me a long time to get them comfortable

Our foot pocket design was made by a shoe designer to fit the average foot shape. That being said it is an average foot shape, so there are outliers as with any fin.

Do you wear above the ankle full boots or the low cut type of booties? The full boots could add a little buoyancy to your feet. Maybe go to a thicker boot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom