Scuba Incident - Maunalua Bay, Oahu Hawaii.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grantwiscour

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We just saw this story on the four o'clock news. I think this is the same op that had the death of the 12 year old Vietnamese tourist a few months back. This sounds like it might have been contaminated air cylinders. More info to come.

"Five scuba divers were taken to the hospital after an incident at Maunalua Bay. EMS says one of the divers had to be revived by CPR.

A worker from the diving company says the woman vomited while diving about 50-60 feet deep. She and the other divers rushed to the surface. EMS says the other divers were also taken to the hospital for nausea."

Scuba diver revived by CPR

From the site @Dan_T linked, I was doing a cut and paste with attribution but he beat me. Well played Dan.

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include:

• Dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness

Bob

The original article linked here did not clarify which diver received CPR, but this other variation does say it was the woman who experienced troubles at 50 feet: Maunalua Bay scuba diving incident hospitalizes 5 people

I don't think that a rapid ascent for the group would cause nausea, so it certainly sounds like tainted tank gases. Sometimes it can be only one tank out of many that gets bad gas, but when it's five - that's even more evidence. I suppose there are other possible contaminants, but it certainly sound like carbon monoxide. Few shops have CO monitors nor tank testers, and most divers don't - all hoping for the best. It'd be nice if a real investigative reporter, authority, or other person secured the tanks for testing before they could be drained or topped off, and found a CO tank tester - then reported the findings. That'd be a surprise tho. Usually these incidents get forgotten as soon as possible to avoid hurting business.

Wouldn't a shop drain their tanks immediately after hearing about an incident like this? I'm not saying they should, I just know human nature...

I have dove that area many times, great diving. Does sound like the tanks, and I wonder if they all came from the same shop??? I would assume.

Any update on which shop was involved or where the tanks came from? I might be going to Oahu and would want to know when choosing ops.

I might be going to Oahu and would want to know when choosing ops.
There is no real safety in choosing Ops from previous records. There is only one way to ensure that a tank fill is safe to breathe at depth.

I would never discourage testing tanks, but I would also encourage avoiding operators with known (especially if it is a repeat from the 12 yr old) histories of safety records.

Edit: safety issues.

I would never discourage testing tanks, but I would also encourage avoiding operators with known (especially if it is a repeat from the 12 yr old) histories of safety records.

Edit: safety issues.
Not for certain but pretty sure it is the only op that goes out of Hawaii Kai...Island Divers.
Any update on which shop was involved or where the tanks came from? I might be going to Oahu and would want to know when choosing ops.
Pretty sure it is the only op that goes out of Hawaii Kai/Maunalua Bay...Island Divers. They seem to have several other names...Dive Hawaii, Diver's Island, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom