Chankanaab Dolphin Jailbreak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My DM said he had not seen a dolphin in 5 years... I had read a story about a jailbreak on TripAdvisor... Just no confirmation of if it's true. Made me wonder if this was a wild dolphin or an escapee.

Sounds like another reason to use the operators of the north :wink: I have been in Cozumel for 5 years exactly. I've seen dolphins at least a dozen times and I rarely am on the boats any longer. Mostly in office the past 2 years.

If the TA forum discussion is from last winter its accurate. If its from recently, it is not accurate. It's worth noting the escaped dolphins from after the storm also returned to Chankanaab the same day. I guess they knew where to get an easy meal.

The TA story does relate to the storm last Jan which was just 2 days before my annual dive trip. It had messed up the beach Club Restaurant at Hotel Cozumel quite a bit & I saw other damage in a few places including at Rolandi's.

The TripAdvisor thread was from January of 2019 ... It's titled The Great Escape

Either way, I feel extremely blessed to have been able to see a dolphin in Cozumel, but if it was truly a wild dolphin, that would make it even better

While rare dolphins are not absent from Cozumel's waters. We've seen them both on the dive boat and underwater. Only once did they stay to play when we dropped in on scuba...I was set up to shoot macro. Damn.

Blue Project posted a video of three they seen on the surface last week, one was smaller. It almost looked like the boat wasn't moving or maybe they had stopped. I've seen them myself twice on the surface - both times not that far south of Chakanub while moving in the boat.....

To see them in the water while diving like that is very cool!

Saw a pod of around 8 - 10 around 4:30 - 5:00 also around Chankanaab, or perhaps a bit south as we were headed for the marina. Captain turned the boat around, and followed them for a good mile. We all had a chance to jump in a couple of times and watch them swim and jump as they cruised by.

It was a partly sunny, cool afternoon, and otherwise non-descript day as far as weather and currents were concerned.

Last Tuesday we had a dolphin come visit us at Palancar horseshoe in the shallows at the end of our dive. Single guy popped in about 30 feet from us at about 15'. He / She gave us the classic smile and head bob and then off it went. the report from the boat was there was a small pod.
Not the first time I have seen them but typically I see them from the surface and I am not lucky enough to be in the water with them.

This was definitely the highlight of last weeks scuba adventure... But it still did not remove my sadness that the reefs in Cozumel are sick and dying. :(

Go far enough north and in the right spot you can always see them.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom