Alternatives to Neoprene Booties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are determined to dive in fast drying street shoes, Google for Saloman Amphibians and browse the results. They make multiple types, so read each result carefully to compare. In general, the different colors are also slightly different shoes. (I have had a pair for my "paddle shoes" for ages.)

I have seen one person with these.:confused:
OMEAFN.jpg

I'm building a light-weight ultra-minimalist gear set for travel, and if I can wear them on my feet that's one less thing in my carry-on.
Your taken my idea! :) I use the same principles - minimal diving gear... and have some successes :)

about great boots - thin neoprene socks and Converse :) or their analog - original China http://aliexpress.com/item/32874645474.html
M7650_A_107X1.jpg

shoe laces is ok?
Converse Chuck Taylor All Star High Top Unisex Shoe. Nike.com
View attachment 499631
and neoprene socks. any, 3-5 mm, for spearfishers e.g.

I`m using it (but not converse,their equivalent - Два Мяча - It was bought in Soviet times, when I was schoolchild). Made in China.
you can see it here :) АВМ-1м сайдмаунт – смотреть видео онлайн в Моем Мире | Alexander D
View attachment 499632

P.S. my friend remind me - Surf Accessories
he has it, but... responses is not so good. heavy to wear it
1-jpg.499632.jpg

I have a pair of Chuck Taylors made with neoprene uppers and stainless grommets. They just keep going and going.....

I wear vibram. I can't remember which model, but they were the thinnest ones they made back vwhen I was doing a lot of barefoot running. Basically socks with souls.

I started using them on beaches and snorkeling years ago, now I leave the booties in the bag. They're great on the boat and in the water.

Chuck's suck if they don't fit your foot shape (in my case too narrow in drysuit socks), and they take forever to dry. Poseidon saw the cool kids diving with chucks and thought, "Hey! Let's jump on that bandwagon, but let's make them out of neoprene like booties! We'll be the coolest!!!"

I prefer the Altama Maritime Assault's over the Oakley LSA's, most significantly because the LSA's are a full high top, and have holes in the bottom of the sole. Sort of contrary to the point of having a real sole if you put holes straight into it. The Altama's dry quickly, are comfortable, the Mid's offer much better ankle support compared to Chuck's or rock boots. It's mostly unnecessary unless you're scrambling over a rocky surf entry or lugging doubles or a breather.

The Salomon Amphibians are great and I've owned several pairs over the years, but I've never dived with them so I couldn't offer an opinion as far as their suitability in that regard. I like a little thicker padding on the achilles for spring straps, so I've never bothered to give them a shot. Rubber straps may be better.

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful suggestions.
I've been looking further into all of these ideas, and come up with some interesting possibilities.

I'd just like to clarify one point brought up...
Don't over-think this...how much space does a pair of light neoprene fin shoes take up...especially the 3mm low cut type...
One requirement I have is the shoe must be sturdy with a robust sole.
There is a reason this is especially important to me.
I was witness to a diver in full gear taking a very bad fall on a slippery dock. Fortunately, and somewhat miraculously, the diver was not hurt, but it left me profoundly worried about falling myself. Since that time I have avoided thin flexible dive booties. Now I always opt for expedition weight dive boots with flat sturdy soles, which I replace at the first sign of wear.
I'm looking for similar characteristics in a dual purpose dive boot/street shoe.

And yes, I realize I may be over-thinking this, but that's the nature of obsession...
which in my case is to travel and dive safely with the absolute lightest and most minimalist gear possible.

Thanks again,

K.

I just spent a week diving in the Bahamas wearing these:

https://www.amazon.com/NRS-Kinetic-Water-Shoe-Color/dp/B00IDF9XWA

They're not what I would call "sturdy" soles. But, I was not worried about slipping on a wet deck or dock.

I also only wore them when diving - not for just walking around. Neoprene shoes and general walking around don't work for me. Too-sweaty feet in neoprene shoes.

For what the OP is looking for, I would probably take 2 sets of footwear. Some sturdy Teva sandals (or similar) for not-diving, and the NRS paddle shoes for diving. Together, they are still very light and low bulk.

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful suggestions.
I've been looking further into all of these ideas, and come up with some interesting possibilities.

I'd just like to clarify one point brought up...

One requirement I have is the shoe must be sturdy with a robust sole.
There is a reason this is especially important to me.
I was witness to a diver in full gear taking a very bad fall on a slippery dock. Fortunately, and somewhat miraculously, the diver was not hurt, but it left me profoundly worried about falling myself. Since that time I have avoided thin flexible dive booties. Now I always opt for expedition weight dive boots with flat sturdy soles, which I replace at the first sign of wear.
I'm looking for similar characteristics in a dual purpose dive boot/street shoe.

And yes, I realize I may be over-thinking this, but that's the nature of obsession...
which in my case is to travel and dive safely with the absolute lightest and most minimalist gear possible.

Thanks again,

K.

K.

Fully understand...that being the case...CT high tops...or Poseidon Ones would be your best choice...

You are still left with the concern of having a ''dry'' street shoe...

Falling with a full kit is not fun...and I know from where I speak...but having said that...there is not much slip protection available for wet/slimy/wooden docks...any of the above mentioned footwear is not sufficient slip protection for this condition...extreme care and or avoidance are your only protection...

You are going to have to make a consession...you're looking for a spork...which is a poor spoon...and a poor fork...

Best...

Warren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom