Casa Mexicana, bahia or Colonial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there public beach access anywhere close to Casa Mexicana?
It depends on what you mean by close, and public. Within walking distance, no, unless you count the few feet of sand between the seawall and the water in a few places. A few miles down the coast there are several beach clubs, but they will either charge you an entry fee, ask for a minimum purchase, or both. Their beaches are very nice. On the other side of the island (10-12 miles away) there are lots of beach areas that you can visit for free, but for the past few months they have been inundated by drifting mats of seaweed which have washed ashore in a big mess.

Is there public beach access anywhere close to Casa Mexicana?
In town, the best you'll find is some sand between the seawall and ironshore. I saw some pangas pulled ashore along there, used by fishermen I suppose. CM is also close to a cruise boat pier, and you don't want to get caught swimming close to that. Between boat traffic, ship traffic, and risk of arrest, it's a place to see water but not get in.

Any suggested "close " beach clubs that are minimum purchase only?

Any suggested "close " beach clubs that are minimum purchase only?
I like Playa Corona. It has good snorkeling and it's small and quiet. I believe they wanted 5 bucks p/p and I don't remember if that bought anything.

You can get in the water just north of town at Hemmingways.
Not a beach, but grass areas along water.

Playa Azul in the north zone.

Paradise Beach Club comes to mind. I think it is $3 for entry but you are expected to spend $10 minimum on drinks/food/etc. If you walk in for $3 don't think the lounge chair on the beach is free or the umbrella, or anything. Bring a towel and lay on the sand in the sun and you won't get much hassle if you are a minimalist and if you buy a few drinks. The fact is Coz is iron shore all around and it costs $ to maintain a "beach club" with a sandy beach in such an environment. Personally, I visit Coz for diving and dining as there is really no beach experience to be had that doesn't cost $. I live in Virginia Beach, VA so perhaps I'm jaded as the concept of paying to walk on a beach is beyond me.

Thought I'd just put this ad out there that I received via email from Aldora Divers ~~ I confirmed with Memo Mendoza, owner of Aldora Divers, that its $704 for 7 nights at Casa Mexicana and 5 days 2-tank diving w/free Nitrox.

If you have ANY questions please contact Aldora Divers directly :D

8ec2ad7b-92f0-403a-a21b-a0b02232e07e.jpg

Aldora divers due to the frequent request of dive packages, we have joined our neighbour, Casa Mexicana hotel to bring you a special low season dive and stay package!

Available August, September and October with FREE NITROX!

Casa mexicana is located at the heart of Cozumel Downtown, close to the great dinning, waterfront amenities and a block away from the dive shop pier from where you'll be leaving each morning.

Check out the hotel at:
www.casamexicanacozumel.com
Dive with Aldora divers
5 days of diving
2 tanks in the morning using our high capacity steel tanks for longer dives
4d5002aa-8de7-4724-a845-b39c45cd7ae3.png

*Price is in USD
Stay at Casa Mexicana
Deluxe Double Room with private balcony TV, Air Con, and safe box. Fresh and Delicious Breakfast Buffet and free WiFi in all rooms.

Contact us for more information or booking
S.gif

Phone: +52 (987) 872-3397
S.gif

Email: frontdesk@aldora.com
Aldora Divers - Only the best of Cozumel ® 2019

Pretty good deal from Aldora Divers above!

That said, here's a +1 for staying at Colonial Suites and booking through Jeannie if you're going to dive with Tres Pelicanos. In my experience you cannot book it cheaper than she can, and as others have said she has clout and can get you best rooms, etc.. Colonial Suites is cheaper than CM, much larger rooms w/ small kitchen and separate living rooms, and most importantly, SUPER quiet property. CM has many more guests and is much busier, very likely much louder in early A.M. as everyone is busy grabbing breakfast (especially problematic if one morning you want to sleep in), &/or in the afternoon if you want to take post-dive naps.

I stayed at Colonial Suites in January. That trip was with non diving friends, they picked the hotel. I was very happy once I got there! Great location, huge 3 room suite,very clean and secure. There was a kitchen in my unit! I didn't use anything but the microwave and the fridge. My friends also had a small kitchen. We walked over to breakfast at CM only once, food was great but it was too much for me. We walked to dinner everynight. I would not hesitate to stay there again.
FWIW, it there was only a few dollars difference and space was not an issue, I would choose CM. My friends were traveling with their kids so the huge space was important. At the time, CM was almost $30 more per night.

CM has many more guests and is much busier, very likely much louder in early A.M. as everyone is busy grabbing breakfast (especially problematic if one morning you want to sleep in), &/or in the afternoon if you want to take post-dive naps.

I will say the city view rooms Jeanie is usually able to get for 3P's divers are the quiet ones where you won't hear the early noise from the breakfast buffet being set up. Now, in the afternoon there will be the general street noise (thinking of that cart vendor who sells the conch shells and blows those stupid things every 10-15 minutes) if you are on the balcony but with the balcony door closed and the white noise from the HVAC running I've had no problem grabbing an afternoon siesta.

Speaking of Casa Mexicana pricing... I remember during the Great Recession grabbing a city room in October for $26/night taxes included. What a deal! (Although the island was a virtual ghost town). We had dinner at Casa Denis one night and the waiter kept feeding us free drinks to keep us there in an attempt to lure some of the other few tourists on the island walking by in for dinner. After about 6 free drinks each we had to tell him no mas as we had to be diving the next day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom