OOA after only a few minutes with a full tank at 17m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope you will conclude that the only guarantee against a mishap is eliminating a partially open condition. Once you've done so, a few breaths off your reg and you will have absolute surety that barring a separate failure, your regs will deliver air at depth.
Rather than become a POV warrior for my new practice, I think I'll leave it at that in this thread.
Thanks to all for helping me reset my priorities.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I simply don't understand why it needs to be more complex than open the valve, and take a few breathes from both second stages while watching your spg.

Making allowances for people who can't figure out which way to turn a valve to open just seems like bad practice. Saying that some new divers can't remember how to open a valve is like saying that some new divers can't remember how to watch depth, time or tank pressure. If that's the case, they simply shouldn't be scuba diving beyond a DSD class. I don't think that's asking too much.

Unless you are diving a CCR, open the valve all the way.

Is there a place for a valve knob that is shaped in such a way that it feels different when turning one direction versus the other?

Yup. For a standard tank valve, when you are opening it it feels like it is turning counter clockwise. But when you are closing it, it feels as if it is turning clockwise.

Lefty loosey righty tighty is easy when you can see the valve. I’m thinking of when you can’t. Like underwater.

The problem is that you can check your valve and pre breathe it, but then you move to the stern and you must pass by the helpful and stealthy dm who often slips a hand in and checks the valve without knowledge or consent of the diver. So I see no full proof solution regardless of full on or slightly backed off open position.

The problem is that you can check your valve and pre breathe it, but then you move to the stern...

The real problem is when you return, not rechecking.

My routine is after the tank is refilled, I set up my gear and check it. If I am leaving the rig, I shut the tank valve and purge the air leaving the SPG at zero. It insures I completely check my rig again before I put it on and splash, and no one would be inclined help in the interim.

Routine is under appreciated.

Bob

Lefty loosey righty tighty is easy when you can see the valve. I’m thinking of when you can’t. Like underwater.

A diver should learn how it feels to turn a valve off and to turn it on, which is done by feel and has nothing to do with sight. If you are suggesting some sort of device that would let you know by feel if you were tightening or loosening, how would it be easier to learn that than to learn what it feels like to open and close a valve correctly?

Lefty loosey righty tighty isn't something that should depend on sight. It should be in your hand and your brain stem. Used a screwdriver much?

Me, I occasionally close my eyes or look away to "feel" lefty loosey righty tighty. It's easier when I'm not confused by what I'm seeing.

It’s all fine to say that this is easy (and yes, I can use a screwdriver by feel), but if it’s so easy, why are we even having this discussion? If it’s so easy, then why do people whose main job involves interacting with this specific valve (DM) get this wrong enough times for it to be an issue at all? Easy for you doesn’t really mean easy for everyone. If the discussion were to move to only certain people with a higher level of skill be certified to dive at all, then that would have consequences as well.

Take care of your own cylinder. Turn in on all the way. Pre-breathe it to make sure the SPG does not swing or peg at zero. One of the last things you should do before jumping is to recheck by pre-breathing, just to make sure nobody has screwed with your cylinder. I have jumped twice with a closed cylinder, very embarrassing, no harm done. I will never do that again.

I think it's actually pretty easy for someone to turn the valve the wrong way before a dive.

If you're standing on the left side of someone just before they jump in, and you reach across the tank and turn the valve counterclockwise (from your position), you are closing the valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom