Cylinder question (color) - DAN Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www-eng.lbl.gov/~shuman/NEXT/MATERIALS&COMPONENTS/Pressure_vessels/gascylinders.pdf

"4.4 Contents Identification by Colour

The primary means of identification of the contents of a cylinder must be by means of a label. As a secondary means of identification the cylinders may be colour coded. The colour coding should conform to one of the following, in order of preference:

For industrial gas cylinders:

1. NZS 5807: 1980

2. AS 1943 - 1976

3. BS 349: 1973
For medical gas cylinders:

1. NZS 7101: 1981
    (being identical to BS 1319: 1976)

2. AS 1944 - 1976
NB: LPG cylinders over 5 litres water capacity are required to be finished in white paint or some other light-reflecting coating (Reg 41). "

Sounds like the tank color is more for the convience of the user, but the proper tank label at the shoulder of the tank is required.

Bob

Identify the content of the cylinder only by the label placed on the cylinder by the transfiller. Color shall not be used to identify the content of the container. ONLY medical gases are identified by color in accordance with CGA C-9- Standard Color Marking of Compressed Gases Intended for Medical Use.

I agree with others it is a confusion because you have to have a script to get O2 becasue it is considered medical gas. You have to have a script to get a O2 concentrator etc for the same reason. I know what happens in the real world and it is often not supported by facts. Either O2 is a medical gas or it is not. There is no difference in industrial gas and medical gas other than the handling and then reportedly medical gas is not medical until it is rehydrated and yet cylindars have medical stamped on the side making it impossible to get them filled with out a script. As I see it the medical stamp dictates the handling of the fill. And what is medical O2 min 80% and bottle vaccummed prior to refilling. torch O2 is higher than that. ONe would have to ask why is the same O2 in different containers required to be treated differently. No change to the gas but treated differently.

somewhat of an update: LDS says no problem filling, so at least I can get it from there.

Worried about being able to get filled in the US a recently sourced tank that is white instead of green. It began its life north of the US border (Canada)....

Actually has white epoxy over the base green paint...

Quick answer, paint it green again. From your discription of the paint over, it started its life in the US, and was painted over to conform to the Canadian standard.

Bob

@KWS the O2 provider certifications usually work though, I have never had to provide a script, only my O2 provider card.

My LDS had to stop providing nitrox becasue the bullk O2 prpovider required a script to get the O2. Right or not it may have been just the providers interpretation . Their position was if you breath it you have to have a script if you burn it you dont.

Quick answer, paint it green again. From your discription of the paint over, it started its life in the US, and was painted over to conform to the Canadian standard.

Bob

While I like that idea, the existing white overcoat has almost completely occluded the markings. The next layer would likely completely do it....

Was actually pondering stripping it.....

Luckily, I seem to have a solution through my LDS.

As to other sources for fills, I was hoping that the following credentials would suffice (if the tank color wasn't an issue):

Technical EANx Certification (probably not)
Gas Blender Certification
CPROx Administrator Certification
O2 Service Technician Certification

My next step would be to talk with my physician, and see if he would provide a script......

Oh so fun!

My LDS had to stop providing nitrox becasue the bullk O2 prpovider required a script to get the O2. Right or not it may have been just the providers interpretation . Their position was if you breath it you have to have a script if you burn it you dont.
Very easy solution...ABO. Aviation Breathing Oxygen. No need to interpret FDA regulations. No script required. Still tracked by lot numbers.

While I like that idea, the existing white overcoat has almost completely occluded the markings. The next layer would likely completely do it....

Was actually pondering stripping it.....

I'd probably just clean out the markings and repaint. I've been called lazy on occation, but look at it as being efficient.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom