OOA after only a few minutes with a full tank at 17m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The deck crew has probably seen many instances of people going in with the valve off or cracked open. It takes just a moment for the crew member to CONFIRM that the valve is opened properly. They don’t need to be actually changing the valve setting. Just a gentle twist back and forth (15 degrees) from the fully open position is all that is necessarily.

If they find the valve off, then there will often be an embarrassing rush of air as the reg is pressurized. If it is found to be in an otherwise incorrect position, then they should definitely tell the diver that they think the valve is damaged or not set right.

At this point, the diver now has knowledge that there is a potential problem. He can decide to say “oh crap, can you fix it for me” ( open the valve all the way)- or they can sit back down and fix or resolve the situation themselves.

If this protocol were followed, no dm would ever be changing the valve setting without the express consent of the diver.

From a percentage standpoint, there is a much greater chance that a dm would prevent a problem than cause one. On tourist boats, there is a much greater chance that the tourist screwed up rather than the deck hand who checks 40 tank valves a day.

Of course, I can completely understand how an experienced diver would not want a stranger screwing with their gear. I would think that most dm/deck crew would comply with a direct order to not touch my valve, especially if I am so anal as to make a point about mentioning it.

The primary point I am trying to convey is that the crew is checking position NOT altering it (without consent) so the valve should never be accidentally shut off by crew.

From a percentage standpoint, there is a much greater chance that a dm would prevent a problem than cause one. On tourist boats, there is a much greater chance that the tourist screwed up rather than the deck hand who checks 40 tank valves a day.

Of course, I can completely understand how an experienced diver would not want a stranger screwing with their gear. I would think that most dm/deck crew would comply with a direct order to not touch my valve, especially if I am so anal as to make a point about mentioning it.

The primary point I am trying to convey is that the crew is checking position NOT altering it (without consent) so the valve should never be accidentally shut off by crew.

This ^

I think that the problem here is that many of us posting are very proud of our skills and experience. We know ourselves, and we resent the idea of any DM touching our gear, etc.... We need to look at it from their point of view. They don't know us, they see a large steady stream of vacation divers, many prone to serious errors, and their job is to keep people safe.

It takes just a moment for the crew member to CONFIRM that the valve is opened properly.
Or accidentally turn it off. Keep yo paws off my silky knobs! :D :D :D

In the spirit of SB, I'll invent some statistics to make my point: it is 94% more likely that a DM on a dive boat will prevent someone from entering the water with their gas turned off than it is that the DM will mistakenly turn off the gas.

So are you saying that as a rule, DMs shouldn't touch anyones knob even though they may be far more likely to prevent an accident than to cause one?

What about seat belts and vaccines? They can also cause injury....

:D

If the crew member were to follow the idea that the valve is only twisted 15 or 30 degrees, then it is impossible to turn your tank off, unless you only had it cracked open. That is sorta the point. There is almost zero potential for harm.

are you saying that as a rule, DMs shouldn't touch anyones knob even though they may be far more likely to prevent an accident than to cause one?
I don't know about all the other morons out there, but I'm used to take responsibility for my own gear and my own dive. Yes, I've screwed up. Several times. But my safety protocols are designed to catch my own screw-ups, and so far they have done so. They aren't designed to catch other people's screw-ups, so I'd appreciate if you'd keep your hands as far away from my gear as practically possible, thankyouverymuch.

I don't know about all the other morons out there, but I'm used to take responsibility for my own gear and my own dive. Yes, I've screwed up. Several times. But my safety protocols are designed to catch my own screw-ups, and so far they have done so. They aren't designed to catch other people's screw-ups, so I'd appreciate if you'd keep your hands as far away from my gear as practically possible, thankyouverymuch.

Right, but as mentioned upthread, you are saying that because you know your own skills, and the Caribbean DM doesn't know you from a hole in the wall.

It's fine to tell them, up front, "I appreciate the hard work you do, but I would prefer that you not touch my dive gear, even to check the valve. Thanks!"

But are you implying that DMs should never touch ANYONE'S dive gear because of your specific situation? I don't understand what you are saying?

I don't like the idea of anyone fiddling with my gear AS I STEP OFF THE BOAT (or am about to). You want to come by, ask me to verify my air is on while I'm on the bench gearing up, that's fine. Or how about you ask me if I want you to do a final air check. But by by touching my gear AS I STEP OFF THE BOAT, you deny me the ability to do the final check on MY OWN gear before it has to support MY life.

Is it common for sky dive instructors to check their student's 'chutes AS THEY JUMP OUT OF THE PLANE?

DM's who are insist on doing a check as a diver is stepping off, are you comfortable with a DM you are unfamiliar with doing the same for you as you step off?

are you implying that DMs should never touch ANYONE'S dive gear because of your specific situation?
Not at all. As long as they let me do my thing without interfering - I'll try hard to ask for that in a civilized manner, and I'll even be fine with doing a checkout dive at a benign site so they can get a proper look at me - I won't tell them how to do their job towards other customers.

"I appreciate the hard work you do, but I would prefer that you not touch my dive gear, even to check the valve. Thanks!"
Stealing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom