Ear Beer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pfirejack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Long story short having trouble with left ear. Fluid in tube behind ear drum. Dr says wait 1 week then return.
Today in dive shop someone mentioned ear beer. Before I could get more info the person left.
Can anyone enlighten me on ear beer.

Am sorry for posting here but this is my go to.

Some people use Swim-Ear, some people use vinegar, some use alcohol, some use a mix. Do a google search on "ear beer".

Ear Beer is a mix of rubbing alcohol and vinegar and sometimes glycerin, that is used to prevent outer ear infections. The exact mix, and application instructions varies. But the basic mix is 1:1 alcohol to vinegar and apply a few drops in your ears before and/or after diving.

It isn't a random wives tale, as I've been recommended this by actual doctors, and it is reported that the Navy uses a pharma mixed version for their divers.

sometimes glycerin
I use it. I think it helps prevent stinging, which can happen. I use a half & half mix of white vinegar and 50% alcohol after every dive and every shower of a dive trip to prevent bacterial infections called Swimmers Ear.

Fluid in tube behind ear drum. Dr says wait 1 week then return.
I don't think it'll help once there us a problem, and certainly not that problem. I suggest following the advice of the medical doctor who got his license the hard way, instead someone in a dive shop. No diving until healed.

I don't think it'll help once there us a problem, and certainly not that problem. I suggest following the advice of the medical doctor who got his license the hard way, instead someone in a dive shop. No diving until healed.

Yeah, Ear Beer isn't meant as a treatment for any condition, but a prophylactic to prevent the outer ear infections. The proper treatment will be whatever your doc prescribes which for an outer ear infection typically antibiotic ear drops, a NSAID, and sometimes a systemic antibiotic like Augmentin. All of which you can get in Mexico simply by asking...

Yeah, Ear Beer isn't meant as a treatment for any condition, but a prophylactic to prevent the outer ear infections. The proper treatment will be whatever your doc prescribes which for an outer ear infection typically antibiotic ear drops, a NSAID, and sometimes a systemic antibiotic like Augmentin. All of which you can get in Mexico simply by asking...
True, but he said he has "Fluid in tube behind ear drum," and I don't know of any treatment for that other than letting the body deal with it in time.

If it's what happened to me (rather painful) pain killer was prescribed as well as no diving for roughly 1 week. In most cases that was likely the right advice but I'm immune to just about every form of pain killer When I was cleared to dive I still had pain BUT it went away at depth. Wish I'd known that in the beginning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom