Five Days of Diving in South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dianna912

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've done some reading up on diving in the Keys. My husband is debating whether he wants to spend all five days there, though. We arrive in FLL on Sept 19th early AM. We are thinking about going to West Palm Beach for a couple of days to hit the Blue Heron Bridge. We have roughly 220 dives between us, and we love macros. Wreck dives are not really our thing. Are there other shore dives that you all would recommend in the area? We are thinking about two days in that area, then three days in Key Largo with Horizon divers. Does that sound like a decent game plan? It looks like we will hit high tide at BHB around lunchtime each day, so a morning dive would be great if you have any suggestions. This is our first time diving in the states.

I’m interested in a similar plan. Was thinking of Belize. But, the keys may work better
logistically. I’ve logged 100+ dives in Coz. What can I expect in the keys?

Unless you are really strapped for cash, don't just dive the BHB - you can hit some nice reef dives in the WPB area from the local charter boats. In fact, since you only can dive the BHB before and during high tide, it might be possible to do a 2 tank boat dive and then hit the BHB in the same afternoon. You can check the tide schedule. or.. dive the bridge in the morning and do an afternoon charter...

also, even though you said you don't really like wrecks, if you have never dove with giant, docile grouper that are larger than a fat man, you definitely should do a couple wreck dives in the area. The goliath grouper will still be abundant on the wrecks and I think they are worth seeing.

You can see about all of the BHB with a couple dives so maybe expand with a couple charter dives from West Palm. But the reefs in Key Largo are MANY and Horizon Divers hits them all (the only shop I use in KL), aside from that enjoy the Southern Florida diving!!

Would you all say that just one day at WPB would be better then 4 with Horizon? Or is it worth it to spend a second day in WPB?

We loved diving with the amazing crew of Narcosis Dive. There is also shore diving at Lauderdale by the Sea. You can pick up tanks from Gold Coast Scuba down the street.

... about two days in that area, then three days in Key Largo It looks like we will hit high tide at BHB around lunchtime each day, so a morning dive would be great if you have any suggestions. .
West Palm beach (WPB) area dive boats usually return around noon or 1pm from their morning dives (some earlier, some later). With high tide on Sept 19th at 12:25, you would not be back in time to dive the BHB at 11:30am. Your post indicated WPB 1st THEN Largo. If you flip flopped that around doing Largo 1st, BHB high tide on Sept 23rd at 3:13pm is Absolutely do-able with a morning 2 tanker on a WPB dive boat (seeing the HUGE goliath grouper annual spawning too). This would give you a Triple Homerun of enjoying the reefs of Largo, then the reefs of WPB, and finally the macro of BHB. Anyone will agree that's an outstanding 5 day trip !!

West Palm beach (WPB) area dive boats usually return around noon or 1pm from their morning dives (some earlier, some later). With high tide on Sept 19th at 12:25, you would not be back in time to dive the BHB at 11:30am. Your post indicated WPB 1st THEN Largo. If you flip flopped that around doing Largo 1st, BHB high tide on Sept 23rd at 3:13pm is Absolutely do-able with a morning 2 tanker on a WPB dive boat (seeing the HUGE goliath grouper annual spawning too). This would give you a Triple Homerun of enjoying the reefs of Largo, then the reefs of WPB, and finally the macro of BHB. Anyone will agree that's an outstanding 5 day trip !!

Thank you!!! This is exactly what I needed!

I used to live in the WPB area and dove BHB frequently: sometimes on my way home from work or occasionally over an extended lunch period. I love the site. With that said, when I return to Florida for a dive-centric vacation, I head to the Keys. Its incredibly relaxing and easy to do 4 or 5 dives (with a night dive) a day with very little fuss.

When I'm in Florida to spend time with family and friends, I still love to dive the bridge or take a charter out of Jupiter or WPB between family obligations. But if I'm only diving and not doing any other activities, the Keys are my focus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom