Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I back up Lion Fish Do the PADI academics at home, and find a local instructor to do your pool work. Then come to Cozumel for your four open water dives. At Aldora we never take more two students per instructor and all four dives are boat dives. The cost is about $60 more than the cost of 4 boat dives and includes equipment.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
How seamless is this transition? Are there any points to note?

I don't know if you mentioned it, but where are you staying? That's an important consideration.

I was in the same situation as you about 4 years ago. I ended up doing ePADI learning, then an ePADI referral with a dive shop in PDC, since I was staying there. After getting certiifed, I hopped over to Cozumel on the ferry every morning to dive. It was a pain, not to mentioned a $17 round trip every day.

I was underwhelmed by the PDC reefs and diving there. If I had it to do over again, I'd stay in Coz and do an ePADI referral there.

You can probably save a few bucks doing 2 shore dives instead of all boat, but I think it's worth the money getting used to boat rides/backrolls/boat entry/etc.

True boat dives look like premium stuff (in the sense cost more if part of OW certification). I am looking to have atleast 2 boat dives included in the certification (whoever I choose) to have that experience ticked off. Would that be a safe bet ?
Depends. If your plan is different than their standard plan of action, it may add to the cost - moving you to a private or semi private price. Especially splitting the dives.

Comfort level with an instructor can be an overlooked important aspect for selection criteria. My wife vowed to never try scuba. After 2 weeks of trying it in the pool while on vacation, she became comfortable enough to do 2 discover scuba dives from a boat. She is now scheduled for an Ow course. All because she was able to find a comfort level with a particular instructor.

First 100% agree with Lionfish-Eater to do the class course either online (which I did) or through an LDS. Then do the pool dives through the LDS. Referral dive (4 dives) down in Coz. Also, research to see if there are any independent PADI (or equivalent) instructors. I was lucky when I did my O/W in Curacao 4 years ago as I was the only student. Then this April did my AOW with an independent. So much more attention, more learning opportunities @ less costs. Amazing value. Personally, I'd stay away from resort type learning. Only my 2 Canadian cents.

A few requirements before you start..

Join DAN: Divers Alert Network - Scuba Diving and Dive Safety Association and get their Dive Insurance. Don't even think of getting wet without membership and insurance. Insurance costs vary with states as they have to get changes approved with each one, but if you see a choice for the $30 insurance for your state, reject that one. Get at least the $40 insurance, $75 with membership, per year. I have the $75 insurance, $110 total, per year.

Get a couple of bottles of Swimmers Ear drops at any drug store. I make my own with equal parts vinegar & 50% alcohol plus a squirt of glycerin, just made a 4 oz batch for 3 bottles for my trip tomorrow. Use it after every dive and every shower on a dive trip, without fail. Otherwise you could end up in a doctor's office on the verge of tears like my last mistake years ago, and diving is over for a week. That recipe breaks down after a month, so repeat for any trip, but it's almost free.

You're going to want your own dive mask that fits your own face well & comfortably, and you may want your own snorkel, but don't spend much on the snorkel as you'll never use it in real diving. Just get one with a drain valve & a keeper. I keep the ear drops in my mask box, another in my bathroom bag. A small dropper bottle of baby shampoo is also good in the mask box for defog on the mask.

Search for scuba equalizing, watch some videos and be sure you can ok. Better, watch this hour long video, the best out: I'd also get some original formula Sudafed (behind the counter, show ID). I use Wal-Act D from Walgreens. It's not legal in Mexico tho, and I don't want you to get busted. I always hope I don't; haven't yet. I don't leave home without it.

Shop for flights & in town hotels now and buy no later that September. I'm good at that, but I don't know where you are or how nice of a hotel you like. Consider trip insurance as your medical coverage may not cover international, etc. I like Travel Safe classic plan, not their cheapest, but there are other good choices.​

I don't understand why some suggest doing class & pool at home, then getting a referral. More expensive, more details to keep up, more opportunity for things to get lost. Doing the online studies at home is certainly the way to go, but doing the class & pool work on vacation is not that big of a waste. You have to do the four check-out dives on two different days anyway, so do the class & pool work mornings. It's two days, either way, so do it all in Cozumel. I'd rather do the class, pool, and open water with the same instructor.

I've dived with a lot of operators on the island, most good to better as it's a competitive market. Just avoid the big boats that cater to cruise boat divers. I am very pleased with my current choice, and I've known the guy for years before he moved to Coz so I'd insult him personally if I wasn't. :) He is the most thorough I've tried yet, and I'm sure his training is great too. His prices are certainly competitive @ $450: PADI Dive Certification - Learn to Dive Today! | Salty Endeavors Email him with any questions about class size, open water, etc. I'd rather do the check-out dives from the beach tho.

After you get your card, hire a private DM for your first two tank boat trip. Money well spent.

I don't understand why some suggest doing class & pool at home, then getting a referral.
I thought that was obvious; why spend precious vacation time studying and learning the basics that you can do anywhere? If you're going to be on the island for a couple of weeks or a month, then sure, but in a week's stay by the time you know what you are doing, it's time to leave.

I'll go one further; I advise people to get the whole cert done before their trip, for a couple of reasons. One is more of what I just said; otherwise you'll be burning vacation time in school, even if it is checkout dives in paradise. The other, though, is because conditions around Cozumel are so idyllic. IMO it makes you a better diver if you've been trained in conditions that are a little more challenging; diving Cozumel will be in the middle of your comfort zone rather than at the outer edge of it.

Free advice and worth every penny. :D

I thought that was obvious; why spend precious vacation time studying and learning the basics that you can do anywhere?
Doing the online studies at home is certainly the way to go, but doing the class & pool work on vacation is not that big of a waste. You have to do the four check-out dives on two different days anyway, so do the class & pool work mornings. It's two days, either way, so do it all in Cozumel.

Or get certified at home and just hire a private DM for the first 2 tank trip.

conditions around Cozumel are so idyllic.
Well, yes & no. Live boat diving is different from moored diving, Cozumel down currents are something to prepare for, and some days are a little wild but short of port closing.

i agree with Don. i personally do not look at scuba training as an interruption of my vacation. i look forward to training when away from home. sometimes it is my sole reason for taking that "vacation". i have never understood why most people, including people in our own business, look at training as a waste of valuable time.
i also think that spending quality time with the instructor of your choice doing pool work will make it more comfortable for you when it comes time to do the open water dives.
i am not sure which shops have already been recommended. and there are a ton of options in coz and playa.
i can tell you i have used tank ha (see matt) and blue life (see frank) in playa. both would be good choices in my opinion.
in coz, our shops trips were always done with del mar aquatics (see gabriel) in the past and have been done with marine world (see alex) more recently if that helps at all.

Back
Top Bottom