Suggestion "Class Reports" A new ULTRA green sub-forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
lowviz

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Background:
I just returned from a course with another SB'er. Just the two of us, this was the second time I had the great privilege to take an extended course with another SB female diver. Two ladies with very different personalities, both delightful in their enthusiasm to progress in this sport. Neither course was rushed, both courses were very enjoyable and worthwhile, much down-time to talk.

The issue:
It seems that there are a LOT of new divers who won't post here because they don't want any negativity. I see their point. Take OW, full of enthusiasm, join SB, and are immediately overwhelmed with the amount of advanced material. Thus they initially feel that they have nothing to contribute. Worse yet, some of them try a post and then another poster makes them feel that they have to defend what they said (while knowing that anything further will just make things worse). This is a big deal for a lot of people.

So we as a community lose their experiences and they lose the chance to enjoy sharing. I have it on good authority that these experiences ARE shared, but on 'underground' channels that I will never divulge.

Suggestion:
So, how about adding a VERY STRICTLY moderated sub-forum that tolerates absolutely no negativity and no back-references (to what was posted by the OP) in more advanced forums?

Additionally, this wouldn't be a required sub-forum for all class reports. I put my class report in "Solo Divers" as I really don't mind challenges to what I post, and, well, that is how I dive...

More restrictive than these? This is how we moderate both Basic and New Divers. It's in the forum header text.

Please note: This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times. Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed. This forum is not open for threads offering goods or services.

I’m going to be very blunt. And, no, I didn’t put Lowviz up to this. He came up with it on his own.

@dewdropsonrosa was the first one I saw it happen to. You simply can’t post a class report without dealing with a ton of crap. You can’t share your experience just to share, and that someone else might learn something from it.

@laikabear also mentioned that there are people who don’t want to post class reports, even though she finds them among the most interesting things on SB, because of all the other crap.

As a result, my public ITT report was rather bare. Certain people who I know and like have privately gotten the full report.

Fundies class reports seem to be the only things I’ve seen that don’t have to deal with the other garbage.

Sounds good, and I think you would make a great moderator for it....
:stirpot: :cowboy: I'm neither instructor nor mod material. (Just a bit proud of that too.) :)

Careful. Bob is a known troublemaker. <wink>

You were (are) very encouraging to me when I first joined.
Yes, we have had a few amusing chats over the years. I LOVE how you picked your SB name!

More restrictive than these?
I was thinking of much more towards Mr. Rodgers on a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bad day.

Yes, the TOS text should solve the problem. However, the problem is alive and well. And there is the problem.

I don't think that everyone is aware of this issue and it affects the guys too, but they are more likely to just shut up and move on...

I was hoping someone would bring this up , a moth or so ago I had the opportunity to teach a gentlemen from WAY up north as we went threw his very specially designed course for him he brought up he didn't want to post because he was worried how it would look ..he also mentioned a couple of sbers by name and asked what quals they had .....I have to admit I did know them and what they were preaching THEY HAD NEVER DONE , 1 was quoting deco procedures and hes never taken that course or done it ....I propose if some one gives advice you should be able to ask some cv questions , it might let some newer divers feel that are getting sage advice , not just option of a scuba god and legend in their own mind.

I joined before I was certified and have not found this place to be intimidating in the least. There are a few who I have ignored, but for the most part, this place seems very helpful. Especially if you compare it to the gun forums and how they treat newbies.

I joined before I was certified and have not found this place to be intimidating in the least. There are a few who I have ignored, but for the most part, this place seems very helpful. Especially if you compare it to the gun forums and how they treat newbies.

Actually I’ve found the gun forums (Arfcom and a local IL gun forum) to be just fine. Probably because I don’t have to watch my sarcasm and if someone dishes it out, I can respond in kind without worrying about the mods or someone getting triggered and running to mommy.

Actually I’ve found the gun forums (Arfcom and a local IL gun forum) to be just fine. Probably because I don’t have to watch my sarcasm and if someone dishes it out, I can respond in kind without worrying about the mods or someone getting triggered and running to mommy.

Interesting perspective. I quit ARFcom years ago due to all of the trolls posting. I joined M4Carbine as an adult alternative. But, the folks there can take themselves too seriously at times.

I prefer the more moderated forums I suppose. This site appears fairly well moderated which is probably why I like it so much. (That and the learning opportunity.)

Back
Top Bottom